Did/do you use a dropside crib for your your baby?

After seeing the thing about dropside cribs now being illegal, it made me wonder how many people used or are using them.

I was given a dropside crib and my Son used it for a year (co-slept for 3 months, then He slept in His bassinet in mine and my Husband's room until 6 months, and He started sleeping in a toddler bed at 18 months)..He never messed with the crib and We never left Him unattended in His room so thankfully, We never had any accidents with the dropside. It is so scary to think kids actually got hurt with them! =/

-AJ

Asked by -AJ at 5:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son used one. Then when we found out we were having a second baby, we were going to re-use the crib, but we couldn't find the hardware to put it together. I went online to find out what I needed to get, and I found out it had been recalled. We got the replacement parts and "repair" kit, and my daughter had a fixed side crib.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• mommy_of_two, I feel the same way. I think a lot of the problems come from people not putting the cribs together correctly. For most things, my husband feels he can ignore a user manual, but when it came to our baby gear, he read everything cover to cover and followed the instructions to the T.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 5:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes I have it and I'm not getting rid of it. It's stupid user error is why is was recalled and now ban. My son has a few more month in it then he goes in a toddler bed. I'm not worried something going to happen because I know its put together right because I followed step by step and took my time putting it together
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We used our drop side crib until my son was 2.5 and now my 10 month old is using it. We never had any issues with ours, and DH is very meticulous about checking the hardware and making sure the parts are installed properly.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My daughter used one and her baby sister (8 months now) uses it.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes and No... We had one, and it sat empty because our kids co-slept. The one we had altered in to a bed, which my lil one sleeps in now. And we weren't even considering a crib for this one because we just don't see the need, she can sleep in bed with me like the other two did.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It's illegal? Is this a federal law? We do have a dropside crib, but it was used only a handful of times, as we co-slept with our daughter, then put her in a toddler bed.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 5:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• my son's father made a dropside crib for our son. i don't personally see a problem with them but now that you can't get one at all i suppose i will never use one again
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Fluffymamabunny. It's only illegal to now sell it and make it. People can use it all they want but they cant sue the company for it now since its been ban
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes, it's a drop side, or more appropriately a convertible crib. But I checked the recall list and it's not on it. Plus it's been converted to a toddler bed (or as they call it, a daybed). Next year we'll be getting him a twin bed, so no I'm not going to get rid of it. If it was on the recall list, then yeah I'd go ahead or I'd get a repair kit if one was available.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010