• In the Spotlight:

my son is 4 years old, we recently had a dog die, i told him that maggie (the dog) was going to live with god, and he said where is god? and i said way beyond space and he said ok, when i grow up, im gonna go see maggie in a rocketship HOW IN THE HECK DO I ANSWER THIS?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Leave it alone.. If he is OK with what you said.. About the dog dieing.  Leave it at that..The thing he said about the rocket ship...He is only 4 years old, he probably doesn't totally understand at his age what death is any ways.

Answer by louise2 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Hmm Well you can always tell him God doesn't use a rocket ship. He beams people up like on Star Trek! I really don't know.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Just be honest and say....I don't know!!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:17 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• just say that sounds like a great idea, i'm sure one day you will. he won't remember about maggie much longer and will forget what he said. don't take away his thought of seeing his long lost friend ever again.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Let it go....as he grows older he'll get a better understanding. My oldest son thinks God will fly down to get him like Buzz Lightyear. I just laugh cause you just never know with God. =)
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 12:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• You don't. There is no perfect answer and no matter what you say he is still going to think he can take a rocket ship. If seeing Maggie in the future someday makes him feel okay (dealing with grief) then let it be. When is is 30 years old he is no longer going to believe that he can tkae a rocket ship to see Maggie. My daughter at age 4 (she's 12 now) told me that when I die she is going to buy a new mom at Pic-Quik (convenience store). Daddy's, howeve,r are purchased at Furr's (a grocery store). Kids are trying to make sense of the world and it doesn't even make sense to us. So if he has to think a rocket ship will get him to see God and Maggie, let it be. He won't always believe that.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 1:11 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• There is no answer to this. Just say okay and leave it alone. It's how he's coping with loosing his dog. Buy the time he's old enough to go on a rocketship he won't even remember this... But for now it makes him feel better.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I would leave it as it is... Let him enjoy his imagination as much as he can. Soon it will disappear and he will learn the true reality. Just get a good giggle from it.

PS ~ I'm sorry for your family's loss.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 3:43 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I think that he is very imaginative and I would let the issue stay as is. Eventually he will realize the impossibility of it, and will be able to coop better after some time has pasted. Otherwise, you will have to sit him down and explain to him that heaven is only a place to go after this life. That his pet is in a very happy place with many of friends. One day he may meet up with him again. But to enjoy his time here too.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:55 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Cool, maybe we can all go as a family. How sweet is that! And yes imaginative. Great mind!!
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 8, 2008