what is an appropriate age to leave my baby overnight with a trusting relative??

My mom offered to babysit my baby boy on New years eve so me & my boyfriend can go out. He will be almost 3 months then. I was just wondering if this an appropriate time to leave him overnight?

CassieM2B

Asked by CassieM2B at 5:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it is a personal preference. If YOU feel fine with it - go for it!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:36 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Unless you feel like she can't handle it, there is no reason you shouldn't leave him. Many parents work midnights and have to leave their babies as young as 6 weeks old with family overnight. My oldest was about 4mos old when I started leaving him with my mom so I could go back to work overnight... In no way did it ever hurt him.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• For me never. I cant trust my family. But it's really up to you and when you feel is right. There is no age for it to be right
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes, if you feel fine with it and the person you're leaving him with feels comfortable with it, a-okay to me.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 5:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Agree with cheeky... with my first I left him with my friend (she had a baby the same age at 18 mo) my second at 4 mo to goto an out of town wedding...my mom watched the kids then!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 5:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It's only good if you feel comfortable leaving your baby with in the hands of someone else and will actually not spend most of your time worrying about your baby while in the care of family or whomever you entrust your baby too.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Whenever you feel comfortable. My MIL kept my son overnight for the first time when he was 10 weeks old. She offered so we could go out for New Year's eve as well. I think we went to dinner and went home. hehe I missed him, but I also really, really enjoyed the sleep. hehe My daughter was about 3.5 months when she stayed the night with MIL, but she's BFed so it's a little harder for me to be away from her at night.

If you feel alright with it, I say go for it! Everyone needs a break every now and then, and I'm sure your SO will appreciate the alone time with you. :)
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• If you are comfortable leaving him, by all means do. A night out can do you a world of good. A break once in a while makes for a happy mommy!
    badgirl44654

Answer by badgirl44654 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• depends on your child and how comfortable you are with it. with my first he spent the night at grandmas at 9 months so we could go out for new years...but with my second child he was almost 3 before he could spend the night anywhere.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My son is 16 months and I still have never left him overnight. My mom has watched him and put him to sleep, but I will either come home or go stay at her house. I do this because A. I am not comfortable being away from my son for that long of a time period, and B. because if he were to wake up crying, its likely that no one will be able to get him back to sleep but me. However, if you are okay with it, and you think your child will be okay with it, then go head.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 5:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2010