Do you love to make abused/neglected/forgotten items brand new again?

I love to find things on the curb, at auction, in yard sales or thrift stores, etc. and take them home to give them some love! I feel satisfied that I've saved space in a landfill, made someone else's treasure worth treasuring again, and created something beautiful! It's one of those little ways I feel like more than just a mom. I have gifts outside of motherhood. At the same time, I don't like clutter. I gift some items to people who would appreciate them or donate them. I very rarely keep something.

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 6:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Yes! I love to get old furniture and refurnish or repurpose it. My next project is to take an old dresser we found on the curb and turn it into a pie safe for my kitchen. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes, I know what you mean. I re-dress dolls and stuffed animals, wash them up, trim their hair (if need be) and give them a new home. This Christmas I took an eeyore dressed in jungle gear and put a Christmas scarf on him and a Christmas pin - now he is Christmas eeyore. I also found a stuffed winnie the poo and he just needed his tattered old drum and drumsticks snipped off and he is my Christmas winnie.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I definitely get the idea, but I learned long ago that the item was more likely to sit around collecting dust at my home then getting fixed up! I did refurbish a coffee table once... it was SO much work, and I wasn't very happy with it. :( I'm a minimalist, and I hate having extra stuff around.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• yes I do!

Answer by admckenzie at 11:07 PM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I like to do this with old clothes. Redesign them into something fresh and fun.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:25 AM on Dec. 19, 2010

• Yes dh and I love to do this together! So much fun.
    a_brown23

Answer by a_brown23 at 4:38 PM on Dec. 21, 2010