Why do some mechanics assume women are stupid or terrible drivers?!

I took my new van in today for service. (I've only had it for 3 wks & having issues already!) The service man actually insinuated that perhaps the way I accelerate had something to do with the transmission acting up! WTF is that about?! I told him my dad raised me to have respect for cars & it's not user error- it's their mechanical failures! How rude- do any of you deal w/ this s**t?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• I get that a lot. It stopped when I asked what the price was for the repair without the "Estrogen Surcharge" and for my old parts. When they started pulling things like spark plugs and filters and my signature/initials were across them in silver sharpie, so that I KNEW which parts had come off my car, they started treating me better too.

Of course, for anything major, I call my dad and he walks me through what to look for. Dad insisted I know the basics so I know which is my starter, my alternator, my fuse boxes, etc. I've changed my own oil, battery, belts and fuses.

As for my driving ability, I tell them they're welcome to pull my DMV record because my 60-month is absolutely spotless, can they say the same?
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes, every time I take my car in for something. I play a game with them, actually, go in acting like you don't know anything, then when they try to pull something over on them, let them know it's not working. LOL They will remember that, and you won't have to put up with it as much.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes I have dealt with it, fact is I enjoy taking my car to a mechanic because of the stereotype they give me and then i tell them exactly what is really wrong with the car. (Helped my oldest childs father graduate auto mechanics school, so know more than I should)
    TiffanyPlew

Answer by TiffanyPlew at 6:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It's a guy thing. I swear it was something mechanics learned in school. LOL! I always just smile at them, but I am thinking something different on the inside!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It's an age old problem that I don't think will ever change. They like talking to men about car problems and assume we are idiots.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Ive dealt with that too, my dad was a real grease monkey and I know more about cars than my husband. On the flip side though most of my friends who are women dont know jack. But mechanics are usually assholes.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 6:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I know AND at the HARDWARE store! ARGGGG!!!!!!!!
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 6:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Because most women AREN'T educated about vehicle maintenance, let alone mechanics.

My favorite is when Jiffy Lube brings my old air filter to me and tries to scare me about what it's going to do to my truck and tell me i better buy one of their overpriced ones. This last time, i smiled and politely said, "There's a brand new one in my back seat, would you mind putting it in for me?". They just stared at me for a second then said, "Uhh...yeah sure." LOL!

You definitely have to take a strong stand against most mechanics or they'll just do whatever they think is right and ignore you.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 6:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• BTW, a dirty air filter (to a certain point) actually filters BETTER than a brand new one. If you really can't afford a new air filter, take yours over to a trash can outside and gently tap it around a few times so you don't ding it out of shape. It'll last another month or two. (and yes, my dad (a professional) told me to do that!)

If you/DH change things at home, writing your initials on them is a really GOOD idea. When you take it into the shop and they tell you your spark plugs need replacing, you have an instant verification if they came off your vehicle or not.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• kills me what they wanna charge for minor things that I can just do myself,sad thing is they take advantage of the elderly
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 7:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2010