If your cousin (who is more like a sister) was in a visibly unhealthy and possibly abusive relationship, would you say express your concerns about it to her, or keep quiet?

-AJ

Asked by -AJ at 6:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• The best way to answer your question would be to ask you what you would want if you were in her place? If you keep quiet you may regret it later if something happens to her. Love may be blind to some people so if you talk to her first let her know that you are concerned for her safety and are not trying to cause any problems. That you love her and no matter what she decides to do you will be there for her.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 7:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I think we should always tell someone when we see them in an unhealthy relationship. I agree that you should do it when the man's not around but you should definitely do it. If you don't and something happens to her later, you're going to feel terrible.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 7:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• i'd definetely say something but definetely do it without the boyfriend/husband knowing. if he found out she could have more trouble than she already does. since you're so close hopefully she would understand that you're only trying to look out for her.
    zachnsalsmommy

Answer by zachnsalsmommy at 7:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I would definitely say something and I would also be prepared to be told to mind my own business. But it would be worth it for me to try if she meant that much to me. I also would be prepared to be there to support her when, and if, things went bad.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes, always say something.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• SAY SOMETHING AND GET HER OUT!!!!! There are lots of resources and people willing to help.
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 11:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I dont want to scare u, but so many women r getting killed becuz of these types of things.If u truley luv her,try to get her help.I will say a pray for you.God Bless you!
    hairdriver

Answer by hairdriver at 2:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I would express my concern to her. Don't be judgemental and attack the man. She might get upset and defend him and you could loose her. Be supportive. Good luck!
    Dezitwins

Answer by Dezitwins at 7:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I'd talk to her. I'd offer whatever assistance I could. I'd point out specific things that I see problematic. Sometimes people in abusive relationships become so complacent that they just think it's the way all relationships are.
    Karolina D.

Answer by Karolina D. at 7:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• i sure would say something she is family.
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 3:03 AM on Dec. 17, 2010