Did your child receive an iq test in kindergarten?

My kindergarten child was administered an IQ test called the Naglieri in October. I was wondering how common it is for schools to administer IQ tests to children in elementary school especially children who are only in kindergarten! While I think it is great that the school is trying to identify children who may need special services I'm not so sure how I feel about this.

unique_puzzle

Asked by unique_puzzle at 7:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I didn't get oen in kindergarten. I was in 2nd grade. It was used to determine if I should be in advanced classes or be advanced up in grade.

My kids took an intelligence assessment test in 3rd and 5th grade (same testing date) to get them into advanced classes. Our district requires a GATE exam for GATE level classes up to HS, then in HS, I believe GATE students are given first-opportunity to sit the AP courses.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My son is in first grade and is already scheduled to get an IQ test at the first of his 2nd grade year. His K and first grade teachers think he is gifted. So do I.

There could have been a reason for the early testing....maybe they see something.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Well actually, ALL the kindergarten children receive this test. HOWEVER I am very proud to say that my son scored in the 95th percentile! So he should qualify for the gifted program.
    unique_puzzle

Comment by unique_puzzle (original poster) at 8:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My son just had one. He is in pre-k at a private school. We requested it b/c he was really bored in school. I am happy we did....he is borderline gifted. Now we know he needs more challenges.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• if they have done it to my daugther i do not know about it.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 9:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My Son Had To Take A Test A few Days Before school started and will take the same test at the end of the school yeah but that is it
    SammiGirl07

Answer by SammiGirl07 at 9:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I have no idea.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• yaa, i have no idea..if she did, i wasnt informed about it..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:43 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• no my child didnt get tested
    wowiemommy

Answer by wowiemommy at 5:53 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• That is interesting, never heard of it in Kindergarten.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2010