Did you have to get rid of a pet because of jealousy issues after you had your baby?

My Husband and I had to get rid of Our cat and Our 10 month old puppy due to jealousy towards Our Son and because of them trying to hurt Him and me. It broke my heart to get rid of my cat but my Son's safety comes first - always! The dog..eh, it was crappy, but I didn't care much for her after everything she did towards my Son and myself. I miss having a pet and my Son wants a pet so badly..but my Husband and I want to wait until Our Son is a little older to try again. My Son is great with animals, He loves them and has always been so nice and careful with them, ever since He was 9 months old.

-AJ

Asked by -AJ at 7:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Pets

• We had to find a new home for our Airedale after our son was born, we kept him for 5 months but he is a very jealous dog and he was really nervous around our son. He didn't really understand that he was a person since he has never been around small children or babies and it was almost like he thought DS was a small critter. It was the hardest thing we have ever had to do, I cried for days even knowing that our pup went to a great home but he was part of our family and we loved him so much, but I knew that I simply couldn't have a dog that we didn't trust 100% around our children.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 7:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Nope. I'm the boss in this house. Seriously, the animals know their order. It's me (and DH), the kids, THEN them in the pecking order....
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 7:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• im concerned about this myself. i have a baby on the way, and because me and the father of the baby arent together-its been me and my faithful furry companion (and was for 5 years previously); my cat is attached at the hip to me so i would die if i had to get rid of him-he is my first "baby". but i've had friends who found ways to deal with jealousy without getting rid of their pets-but it takes time, patience, and persistence. i think you really need to somehow find time to spend time with your pet and reassure them you still love them---after all, would you get rid of a toddler because they werent thrilled with a new baby?
    dez1379

Answer by dez1379 at 11:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We almost gave up our Sheltie that we had had for about 5 years before we adopted our son. Beau was so very jealous of the new baby in the house. Eventually, we just had to keep him outside all the time for about a month. He was so sad and lonely that when we started letting him come back in, he was very gentle around the baby or just totally left him alone and ignored him.
    ChezBelle

Answer by ChezBelle at 11:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My dogs did well, but they knew their place. I am the super alpha, then my husband....for some reason, my voice means business (and I don't hit) many times they don't listen the first 1 or 2 times he says something. I say it....it's golden! My daughter was automatically alpha to them and they know their place. They will try to take her food if I'm not paying attention, but they would never harm her....then they'd have me to deal with!!! Plus, they love the attention she gives them.

Give your pet a chance and maybe some training at your local pet store. They are family members and deserve a little time to adjust. I would start with a baby doll and hold the baby a lot. Leave it on the floor on a blanket and leave the room and see how your dog reacts......it's just a test. Carrying around a fake baby is a great way to get them accustomed to the idea of a new baby. Good luck!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2010