How do I keep apple slices from turning brown?

I know the ones in the store have lemon juice or something on them, but do you just pour lemon juice on them? Is it part lemon juice and part water and you soak them in it? Just wondering if anybody knows. I just got an apple slicer and now my son wants to take apples to school for lunch! Thanks!!!

mommystiebler

Asked by mommystiebler at 7:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Theres a powder you can buy called fruit fresh to use on them or soak them in citrus or lemom juice, equal parts mixed. We use the powder unless its a fruit salad then we use lemon juice.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 7:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• you can take just plain bottled lemon juice and squirt about a teaspoon full into a zip lock bag of them

or you can cut a lemon into 8's and squeeze the slice in

It works for at least 8 hours and the juice is sweet somehow even if you drink it
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 7:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• When I slice up apples, I put them in a bowl of slightly salted water.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Lemon juice, salt water or 7 Up works but not real well.
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• lemon juice works best, it's the citric acid in it that keeps them from turning brown (which is why 7-Up works a little)
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• i just a couple of drops of lemon juice to them and rub them together, it also works on avocados.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 8:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yep, just toss them in a bowl with a squirt of lemon juice, or even orange juice works, toss them around a bit, and put them in the container or baggie - or put the juice right in the container or baggie.
    Anonymous

• You've probably already picked up on this one, lemon juice. A few squirts go a long way.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 10:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• lemon juice does wonders!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I toss my apples in orange juice or some times I have used slightly salted water.
    ksmootchies

Answer by ksmootchies at 12:41 AM on Dec. 17, 2010