help m 2 y/o wont eat...

My 2 y/o does not want anyreal food itry every thing all he wants the last 3 days is crackers , cheese, popcicles and juice...and if i give him chocolate he will eat that ..he just wants junk and i refuse to give it to him...what do i do he goes all day on basically crackers,juice ,water...and he is not sick btw...im drowning in tears cuz he wont eat food...

gio143

Asked by gio143 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't stress about it, hes not going ot starve and it's most likley a phase or testing your boundries. Keep offering healthy stuff and let him eat what he will, limit the junk and try getting creative, smoothies are great becasue they think its like ice cream and you can hide all sorts of stuff in there.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I've read about these food strikes, and unless he starts loosing weight and as long as he's eating something, you shouldn't worry. It's not a perfect diet, but there are whole wheat crackers, healthy cheese, low-sugar juices... you might try substituting since that's what he's into now. Also, dark chocolate is actually good for you, so rather than milk chocolate let him have dark. If the forbidden foods aren't available in the house, he'll have to eat what is available. He will not let himself starve - do not worry about that. Kids tend to only eat when they're hungry, and it's not until we teach them unnatural habits like HAVING to clean our plate, or talking about dieting, that kids begin to question their relationship with food. You can also try making a deal with him - you can have a cracker for every baby carrot you eat. Definitely don't loose sleep over this. :)
    Karolina D.

Answer by Karolina D. at 7:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes I agree with mamallamaof2, just keep trying the good stuff, he will get hungry enough soon, and except what you offer, he isnt starving. He will come around, just dont give in and give him junk food.
    Alta2008

Answer by Alta2008 at 7:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Thank you girls soo much i never had this problem with my 9 y/o and im just a nervous wreck....ill try not to stress
    gio143

Comment by gio143 (original poster) at 7:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My 2 year old is doing the same thing, she's actually losing weight over it. Smoothies are helping us. I'll make a smoothie with a selection of the following:
    nuts (of any sort)
    fresh fruit (oranges, apples, pears, cranberries)
    frozen fruit (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, mangoes, pineapple)
    canned beans or just the fiber/protein-filled juice from canned beans
    yogurt
    steamed vegetables (spinach, squash, sweet potato, carrots, broccoli stems)
    milk and small amounts of 100% fruit juice

My picky eater will suck down any smoothie you give her as long as it tastes sweet, and she's getting all her nutrients from it (although no meat, but there's protein so I'm not concerned). Try it!
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 7:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Its perfectly normal. All 3 of mine went through it at some point. V8 v-fusion is a great way to get fruit and veg, try giving cheese or peanut butter with crackers for protein.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 7:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My pediatrician told me something quite a number of years ago when I was worried about my oldest not eating much real food but loving the crackers, etc…
    Your job is to provide him with nutritious meals. His job is to eat it or not. If he doesn't eat it, don't offer the junk he likes.
    It's hard to do when you think that your child will be hungry, but in the long run you will be doing him and yourself a favor.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 7:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• First, only offer healthy foods if you know he's being picky - that way, if he does eat he's at least getting something nutritious. They won't starve themselves, so they'll eat when they're hungry enough. As long as he's not losing weight or acting/looking like he's under nourished I wouldn't worry. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2010