Iron drops for 3 year old

My son went to his 3 year old checkup today and we found out he's anemic. So, his doctor prescribed iron drops and we'll have him retested in a month. She said to give it to him when he 1st wakes up and not to feed him or give him a drink until 30 minutes after. My son doesn't take medicine well at all, so what can I do to convince him to not spit these out? Also, has anyone else's child been through this?

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 7:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Kids' Health

• before you do that ask for a ref to a pediatric hematologist

if my child were anemic and not symptomatic of it I would request a second opinion before I gave the iron...and yes I've been there yes that is exactly what I did and NO I do not give supplements and the experts agree with my decision
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 7:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I gave them to my son in water or diluted juice.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I opted for a vitamin that contains iron. flinstones makes one and it's easy to get them to take it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• If you must or decide to use sneak 'em in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try pudding...etc. Good luck playing hide the vitamin.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 3:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• He could also have an intolerance to dairy that is interfering with his absorption of iron.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:33 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Our insurance won't cover a pediatric hematologist.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Comment by Krystal.Ingalls (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• And his iron is so low it's interfering with his life. He's pale and cranky and sleepy a lot of the time...which is all from his iron being too low. We are switching to flintstones once it gets back up to the safe zone...but it's going to take roughly a month even with the drops. With flintstones it would take much longer.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Comment by Krystal.Ingalls (original poster) at 10:54 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Is he eating foods that are good sources of iron? My son's iron was low at his 1 year well check and he was prescribed iron drops. Instead of giving them to him, I just tweaked his diet a bit and made sure he was eating lots of beans, broccoli, etc. The next time he was tested, his iron levels were fine.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• He's a picky eater...which is a lot of the problem. He won't eat beans or broccoli. I'll have to look up what other foods have a lot of iron in them.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Comment by Krystal.Ingalls (original poster) at 10:11 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I know the doc said he can't have any water but if he doesn't like them and can't rinse his mouth out that's a bit of a ridiculous instruction to follow. I'd be inclined to go and speak to a phamacist and see if they can offer any over the counter alternatives or put the doctors drops in a teaspoon of honey. Give him some orange juice during the day to help with the absorption (Vitamin C) & limit his dairy intake as this can hinder iron absorption.

With the refusal to eat brocoli etc, cook up a bolognaise sauce and add pured brocoli and oher vegies to it. Your little guy won't even know he's eating vegies.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 7:59 AM on Dec. 19, 2010