Concerns about my daughter having down syndrome?

My daughter is 10 mos old and I've been noticing some different behavior in her. She's throwing really big tantrums for no reason. Screaming at the top of her lungs, I try to comfort her and hold her and she still won't calm down. She has never done this before or anything close to it. She gets angry and frustrated so easy, earlier tonight I had her calmed down and was giving her drinks of water and moved a foot away in a different direction and she lost control again and was screaming throwing her head back and hitting the floor. I'm really concerned about her behavior I know my cousin's son has autism so I would just like to know what some early signs are of down syndrome of autism.

lil_shannie

Asked by lil_shannie at 7:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You'd already know if she had Downs.
    Its too early to diagnose autism

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Down Syndrome is detectable pre-birth and at delivery. So, I am confused as to why you wouldn't know if your baby had Down Syndrome.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 7:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Down's syndrome would have been diagnosed at birth because there are some pretty noticeable physical differences between a Down's baby and an "average" baby. And Autism can't be diagnosed this early as far as I know. You should talk to your ped about these concerns.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 7:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Sometimes down syndrome can be missed right at birth and is diagnosed a little after birth, but the doctor would have most likely detected it by now. Your DD might be teething or just getting frustrated because starting to understand what she likes and doesn't like. Also she may have trouble digesting food since she is starting to eat more solids.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• There are major physical differences that would have been picked up at birth if she was down's (my SIL's 4 week old just diagnosed at birth). Autism is not something that is diagnosed until around 3 years old later. Without seeing he severity of things it is hard to tell if these are just normal behavior or something to be worried about. You need to talk with your doc though and see if there is anything they are concerned about.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• What about any other type of behavioral problems she could have I'm not familair with any of these.
    lil_shannie

Comment by lil_shannie (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• She is 10 months old! She is probably have tantrums b/c she can't communicate what she wants or needs.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Children go through normal phases of attachment and need and privacy. She is just in an attachment and high need phase. She wants you near by.

Children throw tantrums when they cant communicate. Have you look into baby signs? Signing helps children express themselves earlier.

downs syndrome is a genetic defect. It is not a behavior or psychological issue. Downs babies often have a distinctive look, are hypotonic, have sensitive digestive systems, and many other physical issues. Autism is not a condition of fit throwing. It is a collection of atypical social behaviors.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It's definitely not Downs and it's still too early for autism. Wish I could help out more, GL
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 11:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• she probably didnt want water
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 1:30 AM on Dec. 17, 2010