Breastfeeding

Can I breastfeed for a year using only one breast? I've been using only one for my newborn and noticed that my other one isn't producing. I would like to just bf from one if possible (no drama). Just let me know if it's possible to sustain my child using one breast. Thx.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes it is. You can also prompt the other one to start producing if you choose, you will just need to have the baby nurse from that one to jump start it. It will be frustration at first but you will know in a couple of weeks if it is working or not.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:17 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I'm not sure. I'm thinking yes, but the unused one may get blocked which could not only be very uncomfortable but also cause an infection.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I would guess that it would work. However, the more you use both, the more the other side will begin to produce.

I would look up La Leche League as well as kellymom.com You will be able to find a lot of good information
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It is supply and demand and while difficult it is possible to nurse with just one breast. My friend had a single masectomy and could only nurse from one breast and she made it 2 years before she weaned her child. Not sure why you would choose to nurse from only one side, but hey at least you are nursing!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Exactly what Jademom07 said, put the baby to that breast whether or not milk is coming out of it, and it may start. It might also help to pump in between feedings.
    LLmama

Answer by LLmama at 8:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Have you tried going to see a lactation specialist? Sure you can do it but you'll look lopsided. One boob will be bigger then the other
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You won't necessarily be lop sided. Maybe at first, but when your supply levels out you will probably look great.

You can do it. It might get annoying.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• If you had to, you could. I did. It may or may not affect the size.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You *can*... women can produce enough for twins, triplets... even sextuplets! So, each breast would need to produce enough for one or more babies. However, it's not ideal. During growth spurts and other phases many babies like to switch back and forth as a way to stimulate more milk to be made. It's nice to have a full one waiting when the first is empty... and this is true for us now, even at 21 months!

Ahhhh, that just made me think of a quote from the Red Tent. Something about "nothing calms a fussy child like a full breast". Off topic, but I'm certainly always thankful to have an additional breast full of milk waiting for my child. :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:40 AM on Dec. 17, 2010