do yeast infections go away on their own?

I think I have a yeast infection but I'm not sure. I've never had one before. Can I just leave it alone and will it go away after a few days? Also, I have a feeling that it's linked to lubricated condoms because I had never used them up until now and it seems to have coincided with the yeast infection. Some help please...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Health

• Nope, they generally don't go away without help.

since they are an imbalance between the good bacteria and the yeast in your vagina, when the yeast takes over, you will need to introduce good bacteria back into your body.

A probiotic will help. Look for PB8. After 2 weeks it was gone and you aren't hurting anything if it turns out to NOT be a yeast infection.

If you think it's due to the condoms, it could be an allergic reaction.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• could be an allergic reaction to the lube or the condom, there are tests available over the counter to test for infection
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 8:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• no you need to get medication or go to a dr.
    StacyMandujano

Answer by StacyMandujano at 8:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• First I'd pick up a yeast infection detector (unofficial term, lol) at your local drugstore (Walgreens carries them with the Monistat). Those will be able to tell you if it's a yeast infection. If it isn't, you should go to the doctor.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 8:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You can buy OTC med now I do believe. I have never had one either. Can you eat yogurt to help it go away? I know if the doc puts you on an antibiotic you are supposed to eat yogurt to keep the friendly bacteria in your system so you don't GET a yeast infection.

Anonymous

• Not in my experience. They just get worse. I would go see a doc and have them do a yeast culture and a UTI test. You can have both at the same time and since the symptoms are almost exactly alike it can be hard to tell which one you have.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 8:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I get yeast infections regularly. They DO go away on their own after about 3-4 days, just like most minor infections. Try eating yogurt and cutting out sugar.
    bellaamore

Answer by bellaamore at 8:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I would suggest you go to the dr for evalutation - pee in a cup. OTC may help unless it is an allergic reaction.

mrsljamieson

Answer by mrsljamieson at 9:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I work for a GYN and no, they do not generally go away on their own. You can try an OTC medication like Monistat, but if that does not cure it then you need to see your doctor. It could be something more than yeast.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 10:01 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yeast infections usually don't go away on their own. But if you think that the condoms that you are using are the main culprit, try one without the lubricant and see if you can tell a difference. If it's still there afterwards, you may need help getting rid of it. The most important thing is though, since you have never had one, it's probably a good idea to go to the doctor and be sure.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:01 AM on Dec. 17, 2010