Why does my husband want me on a diet?

I eat whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins. We NEVER eat out, don't keep any junk food with the exception of an occasional dark chocolate bar in the house, and I work out every day for at least 1 hour. I'm 23 years old, 5'8 and 123 pounds (as of this morning, however it does fluctuate by a pound or so throughout the day), and have two very young daughters, and I don't believe I am unhealthy. However, lately my husband has become, for lack of a better word, obsessed with a raw diet and juicing his foods. He informed me last night that he's going to put me on a "better" diet, including making me juice a few times a day and eat a primarily raw diet. I already feel as if he scrutinizes everything I consume and everything I put in our grocery cart, and the things he says make me feel as if he equates my eating habits to those of someone who eats fast food three times a day. In order for me to succeed in eating healthy (the way I think I already do), I also need to enjoy and feel satisfied with what I cook and eat, whereas he is able to choke down just about anything for the sake of his fitness. He says I could always weigh less "if I really wanted it for myself" and, when I tell him this hurts, he asks why I don't want to be healthy. I AM healthy, or at least I thought I was. I almost feel as if he wishes I was underweight or something, and I don't understand why. I am comfortable with myself, my diet, and my body but apparently it is not good enough for him. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• Tell him this is you r body and your life and you'll choose how you eat and exercise
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 8:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• im pretty sure he has an eating disorder himself and needs to see some professional counseling...and im saying this as a trained therapist that has dealt with eating issues myself.
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 8:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• tell him to shove it!!
    5'8'' 123 lbs sounds like you are already super small...
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• LoriAnn, is that possible even if he's only been in this particular phase for a few weeks? He goes through these phases all the time, working out and being crazy about food, then he backs off, then he starts again, on and on.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• As the others have stated you are already in great shape. Yes juicing and raw is great for you health wise, but you don't need to do it to lose weight. What concern me more is the way he sounds so controlling of you and what you eat. I would seriously think about some counseling for both of you together and alone.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• and by the way, you don't want your daughters around that, they will grow up being insecure and having eating disorders... gl
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Hun 123 pounds at your hight that's supermodel skinny to me! lol You are the poster girl for healthy hun and don't let him tell you any different. To me it sounds more like he's feeling guilty for something. This is just an example I"m NOT saying it's whats going on, But if he is thinking about cheating he might be telling himself that if he had a "skinnier" wife that he wouldn't even be thinking about it. Or something.
    However if you want to get him off your back maybe going in to a gym and having them evaluate your body fat percentage (with him there) and having them tell you if you need to loose or what. That way he has a professional telling him it to his face and he can't argue with that.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 8:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Go here hun and show him the results

http://www.webmd.com/diet/calc-bmi-plus
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 8:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• i agree w/ ppl, it sounds like he is just looking for a way to control u. and he may have an eating disorder. its one thing to eat healthy, its another thing to accuse u of being unhealthy when it clearly sounds like u are healthy. idk what else to tell u, but good luck. maybe u should BOTH go to the dr together and talk about ur weight issues. so he can hear from a doc that ur healthy
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 8:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Thanks you guys...I know I'm not in bad shape, but after birthing and breastfeeding two kids back to back, things don't look quite the same, and I guess it grosses him out or something.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2010