Has anyone.....?

After getting married and having my first child I sometimes long for the old days when it was just me. Some days this feeling is intense. Is this postpartum depression???? Anyone else out there ever feel the same?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's not PPD, it's living in the past...

There are two ways of ensuring ongoing misery in the midst of quite a neutral, pleasant life: focus on and regret all the things past, and; focus on and worry about all the things future.

You're thoughts are not directing your life, but also you are not directing your thoughts. When you catch yourself reminiscing about what is missing from your life, and how great it was then (betcha a dollar you didn't think so at the time!), bring yourself gently but firmly to the present moment. What is happening right now? How does it look? What do you have?

Because otherwise in 10 years, when you're dealing with a tween who has different views of the world than you do, who is not cooperative, obedient, thoughtful, grateful or wonderful ALL THE TIME, you'll be sitting there wishing you were still sitting here. You're missing your real life, all the time you're spending in the past or the future.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It is perfectly normal, even expected.

It's not PPD.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• If there are other signs of depression yes, but just this alone I would say it is not. I had PPD with my youngest and I actually didn't get it until she was about 7 months. Just looking at her made me want to cry, I felt like a horrible person. Definitly talk to your doctor
    TiffanyPlew

Answer by TiffanyPlew at 8:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Many MANY people feel that, even after two kids some people, ahem, feel that, and I wouldn't trade my family for the world,
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 8:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• So true LindaClement.....thanks for being insightful.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2010