Is it time for baby food?

My son si 24weeks old, is it time to start giving him baby food? We have given him baby rice cereal a couple of times. Is he old enough for other baby foods. it seems like a ridiculous question I know but all my other kids seemed to be eating before this, they were all pretty advanced and this one is so very different so I just thought I'd ask other moms. Thanks

momof3blue1pink

Asked by momof3blue1pink at 10:39 AM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should have the baby on the cereal about two weeks some will get ust to swallowing. when I knew my daughter was ready is when she started opening her mouth for the food she understood what was going on.
    robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 10:57 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• my son is 17 weeks and he has been on baby food for about 3 weeks now, and it's going pretty good. If your baby seems really interested in what you are eating that is a good sign they are ready to start.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• i did not start my son on baby food until he was 4 mos old. i started with the gerber tiny jars of veggies. i started to add cereal to his bottles when he was 2 mos old. but, my son has never been a picky eater or hard to please. infact i could not hardly breastfeed, because he was overagressive, 3 mos is all i could last!!
    you have other kids, so i dont know. this is my one and only, so you probably know more than me!!
    MONHOLLENMOM

Answer by MONHOLLENMOM at 3:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I think it's too soon, even for cereal. The current recommendations by the AAP are breastmilk or formula only for at least the first six months, then anytime after 6 months solids can be introduced and experimented with.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:37 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• my nurse says as soon as they will take it, then start them out sloe. i started my son at about 4 months and started slowly and he LOVES it. i just hated breatfeeding all the time. i felt like a cow. so if they will take, let them have it.
    jsprout

Answer by jsprout at 5:14 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• i started my daughter on rice cereal at 2wks old, i would put it in her bottle because she just never seemed to be satisfied with just formula...i'd say i slowly introduced baby food to her at around 2mths and she was on full eating of baby food by 3.5mths! i didn't really go by what my doc said but i rather listened to my daughter and if she seemed ready i went for it...=]
    anabelsmommy08

Answer by anabelsmommy08 at 8:30 PM on Nov. 8, 2008