Consistent Dry Cough

My daughter has a consistent cough, what do you think I should give to her to soothe and stop her from coughing consistently?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• have you tried using a humidifier at home? The extra moisture in the air could help...you can also turn on the shower with hot water and shut the door so the bathroom steams up, have her sit in there for a few minutes to help open up her airways. Vicks rub might work a little too. if she has had it for a long time (more than a couple of weeks) I would make an appt with her pediatrician to have it checked out...my daughter has asthma and sometimes goes though spells where she coughs a lot when it is acting up or the weather is being odd.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 8:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You could try using a humidifier in her room. Steam up the bathroom and sit in there for a while. If it is a dry cough, it might be bronchitis, and cough medicine won't help. Lots of fluids.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 8:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• my daughter has asthma too and she does the breathing treatments, every day now for awhile. Her pediatrician said just to do the breathing treatments but it seems like she's had this dry cough for like MONTHS off and on!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Sounds like asthma. Could be seasonal asthma. Mine was always bad in the winter. Talk to your doctor. Maybe Singulair or Advair would help.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Sorry, I answered before I read your response.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Ugh, my son gets them too. He has them now. He has a nebulizer, and gets his breathing treatments (as needed) and takes allergy medicine all year round. It could be allergies. A cool mist humidifier should help too. The coughing is awful. Poor little kids can't sleep. :(
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My daughter had a cough quite a bit during the peak times of the year that her allergies really bother her (usually spring and fall) until the dr's changed up her asthma meds...she is now on 2 different types each day and it worked great...we did have to adjust the meds around a few times to get the right dosages but it could be a sign that she either needs a daily medication in addition to her rescue meds or that her meds need adjusted if she is already on a daily routine. I would definitely talk with her pediatrician.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 11:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Have your doc check into this further. If it has been going on for some time now, she could have a mild case of walking pneumonia. My daughter had a consistant, dry cough for about 6 weeks before they found out that is what she had. She does not have asthma though so I don't know if that would even be a possibility. Hope you get some good answers though!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:44 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• cough medicine
    wowiemommy

Answer by wowiemommy at 5:52 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• HUMIDIFIER and some caffeine free tea with honey in it. If it doesn't go away after a week of doing this I would call the DR.
    Luvmybooskies

Answer by Luvmybooskies at 7:05 PM on Dec. 19, 2010