Dieting while breastfeeding?

I have always been a very healthy eater and during this pregnancy I stopped watching my portion sizes. I just eat what I want, and I eat until I'm comfortably full, I don't over eat by any means though. I would say that I eat a very balanced meal (all food groups) My question is, If I want to lose my baby weight what type of diet can I follow to lose the weight but still be eating enough calories to keep my milk supply at a healthy range. Thanks Ladies :)

nat1387

Asked by nat1387 at 8:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just eat healthy and limit portions.....check out the eat clean diet its not a new idea but I like it.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• i would try weight watchers, i have a book from there which has all kinds of great foods in, i know how you feel im pregnant and after this one i wanna lose the weight but not damage the breastmilk if i can breastfeed
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 8:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• you only have to consume 500 additional calories to maintain breast feeding.

google a BMR. It will tell you how many calories you should eat for your body to function based upon your activity level. Once you have that number, add 500 and that is how much you should consume each day.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Breast feeding can rapidly take weight off some people.

Just continue to eat sensible food. Cook from fresh. No cans or boxes. Eat a lot of your food raw. Drink a ton of water. You might be shocked how fast the weight comes off.

I was in pre-pregnancy clothes at 21 days post partum.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Weight watchers has a program for breastfeeding mothers.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• just do what your doing now but drink more water and workout.
    mrs.pyle

Answer by mrs.pyle at 5:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I remember that WW doesn't recommend losing more than 2 lbs a week when you are breastfeeding. But like someone else said, find out how many calories you should be consuming and add 500 for BF
    yo_ho

Answer by yo_ho at 7:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I lost weight while bfing by just eating REAL foods, nothing processed/boxed/"fast food'. I stuck to fresh produce and ate lots of veggies and fruits, avoiding eating large amounts of meat and dairy products.
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 11:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I pretty much ate what i wanted, when I wanted with plenty of water and the pounds came right off. But I've always been found of my fruits and veggies, so no prob there. Lost everything but the last 5-10 pounds which will go away after you wean. (think emergency rations for baby) Just listen to what your body tells you and you should be fine.
    Sica_Belle

Answer by Sica_Belle at 7:54 PM on Dec. 19, 2010