getting a 4 yr old ready for school

I am watching my cousins 4 year old daughter, an need sugestions please, she has went thru a lot her dad O.D. in Jan and I know some of her stuff is due to the loss of her Dad. She is just learning to count to 10, she can not recognize any of the alaphabet, she can not hold a pencil, she still wets her pants (which I am sure is due to her loss) She is very bright she is constantly singing, I really want to get her ready for school in sept. holding a pencil being able to recognize letters and numbers and hopeful writing them too. If anyone has suggestions please let me know I have tried everything i can think of and still nothing..........................thanks So much

ambnwyattmom

Asked by ambnwyattmom at 10:41 AM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If some of her issues are do to her horrific lost, then it's going to take time and the school SHOULD work with her. The rest of it will come with exposure, there really is still MANY, MANY, months left. Read with her daily, just let her have coloring time, play dough, anything that would strengthen her small motor skills. Just working with flash cards 2-3 times a week will strengthen her letter recognition skills and number skills. Count with her.... etc. It will be fine!! You have lots of time don't stress over it, and just let her enjoy being a kid. :)
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:51 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• in my DD school they sing to remember. you can take any song kids know, old McDonald, twinkle twinkle Lil star, etc and work in different learning games. and when you make up the songs, you and your cousins DD can make a big poster board with all the alphabet letters or pics of what the song is about, maybe cut them out from a magazine and glue them on in the right order, and point as you sing. it may be easier for her to learn visually.

sammygrrlplus1

Answer by sammygrrlplus1 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 8, 2008