joe the welfare recipient?

does the fact that 'joe the plumber' received welfare change how you look at him or how you view his conversation with obama?
http://news.aol.com/political-machine/2008/11/06/joe-the-plumber-fellow-traveler/

heatherama

Asked by heatherama at 10:51 AM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Well, I agree to a certain extent. You know, we are all so completely different on our view and such. He doesn't really represent what I stand for, or many other conservatives (which I am sort of more moderate, just to be clear). I don't think that most of us will ever see eye to eye on many issues, but as long as we respect each other's rights to our own opinions we will all be fine. I prefer well thought out debate and a lof of what I see on this Q&A section is all to start drama. It's a real shame that some of us can't just listen to another POV once in a while (even if you can't agree).

As far as being courteous, well, it's given when it's received. See, we already have some common ground! How exciting. And thanks to you as well.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:43 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• 1. I love that this FOX NEWS (AKA not liberal media)

2. I'm pretty sure Joe had to change his pants after it was pointed out that he had been on welfare.

3.  Joe would be in over his head debating a moderately well informed 10 year old.

4.  No, my opionon of him didn't change, it was already so low there was no more room for it to sink.

Thanks for posting this!

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• No. I think many liberals would be interested to know that many conservatives don't look down upon people who have received welfare, as long as they are using it as a 'hand-up'. People who abuse the system and don't use the opportunity to help themselves out of their difficult situation puts a stigma on receiveing governement assistance. Those who complain about not getting more when they haven't done anything to help their own situation only perpetrates this negative stigma.
    I find that his question was completely legitimate. If someone is running for POTUS and expecting us to put the safety of our nation in his hands he should be able to answer the hard questions without fail. The smear that Joe the Plumber received was unneccesary, but I imagine you will see a lot more of that type of stuff in the next 4 years. (BTW, if you read snarkiness, it wasn't meant that way, just MHO).
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:01 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• 4. (I forgot this one)

Correct me if I'm wrong, Socialism is an ECONOMIC structure for a country. It describes how the economy of a country runs.  Democracy is a POLITICALsystem.  It describes how the leaders of a country rule.  As a democracy if Americans wanted this be a Socialist country it could in fact become one.  Our economy could be Socialist while the political system remained Democratic (No, I don't think this is happening, just saying it for argument's sake).  Joe seems to think that Socialism would replace Democracy, when really they are two completely different things.  Socialism could (it's not going this is just hypothetical) take the place of our CAPITALIST economic structure, not Democracy.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• i understand where you're coming from quinniemae but you have to agree that it's a tad bit ironic.
    first of all, i don't think this man was an innocent man asking a question at a rally. i firmly believed he was tapped and asked to ask this question.
    i also find it ironic because his exchange with obama was used to form this idea of obama being a socialist when, in fact, the claim has been thoroughly debunked(see politifact.com for more info.)
    again, i am not trying to be confrontational in the least but if you watch the full exchange between obama and joe the plumber, he was able to fully answer his question. i believe he talked to him for 10 minutes or more!
    i'm not really sure how stating a fact is a smear.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:06 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• No, he like all the other taxpayers at one time or another pay into the system by paying taxes, so why is it wrong that he needed to go on welfare for a time being. Its not like hes still on it like how many other people taking advantage of the system. I'm not against welfare for people that genuinely need it for a period of time. So why would it change my view? Leave the guy alone already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Maybe he would be left alone if he stopped doing interviews and seeking media attention. He hired an agent. Doesn't seem like the actions of a man who wants to be left alone.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Joe was not a plant. You are already smearing a man who asked a question. Are we not allowed to ask questions anymore. I see thousands of people asking questions everyday. Tak the wool off of your blind eyes and wake up. Socialism here we come.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 11:17 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Actually, people ask our leaders hypothetical questions all the time. I don't care if he posed his as a hypothetical question or if he was 'setting a stage'. Our 'leaders' should be able to answer these questions without fail. Many of us found his answer very telling. Some people didn't see a problem with it. Simple difference of oppinion, but a stark one at that.
    As far as where and how, I have actually read and believe that Obama was in Joe's neighborhood and wanted the people of that neighborhood to give him questions to answer. The fact that he didn't like the question or the fact that many didn't like his answer doesn't change that Joe didn't deserve this 'digging' into his life.
    As for the agent, I am not surprised. Agents are like cockroaches. Maybe this is Joe's way of getting off the dole that you speak of. And he and his agent will pay taxes on that $$$. Good for everyone, right? What's the problem?
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:20 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• i am not trying to say that it's a problem for him to receive welfare.
    i am saying there is irony in the fact that he essential launched the attack on obama's tax plan and yet he has fallen on hard times himself and needed government assistance.

i encourage you to read that poltifact.com article on socialism. it's a FACT that obama's tax plan is NOT socialism, not even close.

and you're right, his exchange with joe the plumber was very telling. it told me that obama is an honest man who will sit down(or stand in this case) and have a clear discussion with americans.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:26 AM on Nov. 8, 2008