Question for christian moms about certain books for a 10yr old

My son is an avid reader, he is ten years old and loves to read just about any book he can. For being in the 5th grade he reads at a 7th or 8th grade level. He keeps bringing home these books that in my opinion are questionable like "PENDRAGON" and "CHARLIE BONE", and books about magic, sorcery, dragons, and mythology. My question is has anyone heard of ordone a christian review on these books and are they okay for my son to be reading. I do not want him reading things that in anyway perverse the name of God or distort the truth, but I don't know about these books that I have mentioned above or the types of books he is bringing home. Please no critism i'm asking genuine question and i'm a concerned Christian mom. Thanks

momof3blue1pink

Asked by momof3blue1pink at 11:05 AM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree with llistN.. go to the Christian bookstore and get him some alternatives. When I was raising my son I was very careful what books he read... it's important we teach them how to guard there hearts and minds... at 10 he has to be taught how to do that... just like you wouldn't let a child watch anything on tv or at the movies the same should hold true with reading. If he is in to mystery fantasy type books.. there are great christian alternatives.. the narnia series, passages series are some.. go to FocusontheFamily.org under there entertainment section is a list for great reading broken out by age.. hope this helps.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Those types of books are fantasy, just make sure he knows that and knows who God is...
    mommyof2boys813

Answer by mommyof2boys813 at 11:08 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I agree, most children's book are written fantasy and children are able to differentiate it from reality. Did he read the Marc Brown Arthur books when he was younger? Surely he didn't think aardvarks talked and went to school.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:14 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I have do heard anything specifically about these books but I have heard things about harry potter ( i believe it was on one of the Sunday morning services on tv) anything to do with magic and witch craft is frowned upon and my spark his interest in the other types of books explaining and how to do witch craft.

find out when he goes to the library at school and if its possible go help him pick out a more appropriate book. or the library my give you a list of the books in the library and just mark off the ones you do not want him reading and give the list to him. hope this helped

robinalbright

Answer by robinalbright at 11:16 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• my boys both excel at reading. my oldest reads better then most adults and his teachers are always impressed. he read the pendragon and he bought it from the book store club at his school. i think it's great for their imagination and i think he knows right from fantasy. after all he doesn't live in fantasy. has he read the harry potter books? they are great. give your kid some credit. if your a good mother which it sounds like you are then don't worry that you have a bad seed. they say that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. i have heard nothing bad of either books.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I'm sure he understand the differences between fictional and non-fictional books. Just be sure to point out that those are fictional. You might be able to get other people's opinions on those specific books at www.shelfari.com .
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Even if there were other meanings behind it, I highly doubt your son would pick up on them. Some are just so deeply imbedded. And I'm not saying it's right that they are there by any means, but that if he's interested in the book, he most likely wouldn't pick up on any other understanding than the obvious. I personally do not see any problem with reading books like that or Harry Potter. (I am Christian, and my hubby is attending seminary school, and will be a Youth Pastor soon.) The kids love the creativeness of it. The "going to a different" world. But as long as they are strong in their faith of God, and they understand that the book is fiction and nothing will come of it, I believe there aren't any issues.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 12:25 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• just a suggeston. go to a christian book store. may GOD lead you.
    IlistN

Answer by IlistN at 12:51 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• ITA with bonn777.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:24 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• If you are clear with your son that it is made-up and just fiction, I think it is ok. I mean, do little kids think vegetables can talk just because they watch Veggie Tales?

AngiDas

Answer by AngiDas at 4:23 PM on Nov. 8, 2008