How do I deal with and ADHD child without going nuts?

My daughter was the perfect angel til she turned 15 mo. I thought she would outgrow getting into stuff until she grew older and things got worse. now she still gets into stuff steals, can't sit stil..basically drive me bonkers till I send her for a time out after giving her several chances to knock it off! What do I do?

sweetheart26kh

Asked by sweetheart26kh at 1:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sounds like you are doing everything right. Limits and disipline. Maybe it is just time for mom to take a well deserved break. Spa Day? We have to take care of ourselves to be strong enough to take care of others. We are not Super heros..we need to recharge those batteries. take care..i do understand! ...all too well! LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Sounds like a normal 15 month old to me! If she understands the discipline, I would say keep it up, but maybe don't give her so many chances to be naughty.
    Anonymous

• Has she been diagnosed ADHD or did you self diagnos?
    Is she watching tv? (she's too young to be)
    Anonymous

• yes is she diagnosed? Its LOL that that may be the age I started her nickname cuz she stopped looking my way as i said the full! Ugh! Her new school finally listend & duh told ya so..it was Not Just a nameless learning problem pre-1 grade teachers thought. The worst to hear is that her work disapears in the classroom. Oh if u feel it necessary I started daughter 3 years old at what is called a I.S.D school...soon she was going there then bussed to headstart for a full day of learning! KIndergarten she was lucky to get into a alll day class..or try to find summer day camps, or just be around other moms. enjoy it..dd is growing up so fast now @8
    carisa

Answer by carisa at 11:25 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Have a 7yr old boy with ADHD too so I know how you feel.We didn't want to do the whole drug thing but after a yr I couldn't take it anymore.He started on Addrell but it made him depressed and he lost a couple pounds which really scared me.So we switched him on Concerta.That's the only thing that helps.Forgot to give him his meds today and it's early bedtime for him!!!The meds just help him listen a little better, doesn't do a whole lot for the bouncing off the walls.His teacher noticed a big improvement in his concentration at school so I think it's worked very well for him.Take lots of breaks...how alone mommy time.I have 3 little girls too so sometimes I don't get to get my little breaks but after they all go to bed I listen to my MP3 player and try to relax!!Good luck! :)
    ArmyWife041408

Answer by ArmyWife041408 at 7:08 PM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Keep the child busy with activites,outdoors,coloring,reading,etc. I have to keep my son busy and let him run and get his energy out. lol. Since it's summer time I only give him half of his medication. Good luck to you!
    Anonymous