My 10 year old son and my husband never get along

I have four kids 2 of which are from my previous marriage. My oldest son is 10 he is lso severly ADHD. My 10 year old is very strong willed and refuses to listen to my husband. My husband tries very hard but his patience has seemed to have run out with my 10 yr ld. I work mornings so my husband gets up and gets the older boys ready for school, Every morning my son is up before anyone else and stealing things from the house like sweets, money. when my husband gets up the arguements begin. My husband calls me at work about 4 or 5 times just in the morning, because he does not know what to do with my 10 year old any more. My husband has tried every form of discipline,it is so bad that my husband could look out the window and point out that the sky is blue and my son will instanly start arguing about how the sky is purple. What can I do?

momof3blue1pink

Asked by momof3blue1pink at 11:17 AM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• You may have to rearrange your schedule for awhile so that you can get him ready for school, or maybe he can ride the bus and you can get him out the door earlier so your DH doesn't have to deal with him. Tough situation. Have you thought about counseling?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• Is he on any meds? Have you changed his diet at all? Not trying to say he should be on meds, but I have friends whose son has severe ADHD and finding the right med has been a real struggle for the. Hope it works out.
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 7:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My dd goes through that every morning with her ADHD eight yr old. She has to frisk him like a criminal before he goes to school each day. He's on meds and they thought he was doing better. She called me the other day to ask me how much money I was missing. I had left my purse down and he stole money out of it. If she had told me he had a problem with stealing I would have never left my purse down so I guess what I'm saying is that as adults we have to take precautions against getting money stolen. Keep it inaccessible to them. As for sweets, they are not healthy for any of the kids. Try other treats like fruit for a sweet snack. Remove the temptation is my point.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:04 PM on Nov. 9, 2008

• I have the same problem with my almost 13 year old DS and my husband. There have been a few days when I have to work early and DS and DH call me a few times cause they are fighting. DS refuses to take meds for DH so I have to wake him in the morning before I leave for work. I also dread days off of school when DH has to watch them cause I get calls then as well. DH doesnt have kids and so he doesnt really know how to handle them, which is a fight in itself. My advice is to let me know when you find an answer, lol. Sorry I know doesnt help you but just know you are not alone. And my DS has ADHD and a whole slew of other issues.
    jajumommy2000

Answer by jajumommy2000 at 7:55 PM on Nov. 9, 2008