When should I start giving my son regular milk?

My son is 11 months old..when should we start giving him regular milk? Should we wait for the go ahead from the doctor?

Mommy2B110

Asked by Mommy2B110 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was 11 or 12 months.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 10:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I would def check with the doc first...just in case if he has any allergies or may get allergies from the milk he can tell you what to watch out for.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My son was 8 months old. I ran out of formula and had no WIC left, so I called the doc and got the go ahead to give him 2% milk. WIC threw a fit because I had the never to follow what my doctor said was ok and not them. They told me they were going to call CPS on me for neglecting my child. I took out my cell phone and started dialing the number and asked if they wanted to talk to them or should I stop dialing. I then told them to take their checks and shove it because they had NO right telling me how to parent MY child and to accuse me of being neglectful. My son was very healthy and happy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• i started 2 wks before they turned 1, that way by the time their birthday came they were totally off formula
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• With my now 2 1/2 year old daughter I started at 11 months, but she would not drink milk by itself...so I mixed 6oz of formula with 2 oz of milk and kept getting more and more milk until she drank only reg milk....it took about a month and a half for her...but remember all children are different
    mylady13135

Answer by mylady13135 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Kids are suppose to have WHOLE milk- for the mom above who was giving 2% & I started at 13m- He took 8oz milk cups & i started making them 6oz formula/ 2 oz milk and increasing each week.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 10:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I started at 11 or 12 months, start off mixing a small amount and increase it if he has no problems and soon he will be on milk completly.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You can start now...if he drinks an 8 ounce bottle but 6 ounces of formula and 2 ounces of whole milk in it. do this for 1 week then put 4 ounces formula and 4 ounces whole milk in each bottle for 1 week. After that put 6 ounces whole milk and 2 ounces formula in each bottle for 1 week. After that you can give them straight whole milk. If your family does not drink whole milk I'm sure 2% would be fine also this is just what our pediatrician said to do.
    Joyzap2003

Answer by Joyzap2003 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2010