This may be a silly question but ..

I was told theres a difference between preschool and head start. What's the difference? Which one will prepare dd for elementary school better?

bseastrand

Asked by bseastrand at 10:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• They will both prepare your child for Kindergarten. Headstart is for low income families or for children with developmental or physical delays and it is FREE. Preschool you pay for and anyone can go as long as they can meet the tuition.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I believe Head Start is federally funded while preschools are usually private. I know in my area we have a preschool that is part of our public school system and it is not a Head Start, although I am not sure if every area has that.

I am not sure that either one is better than the other. I have never used Head Start..my 2 older children went to the public preschool in our town. When my youngest was starting preschool I didn't like the changes that had been made so I ended up using a private preschool.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• A Master's Degree is not required to be a pre-k teacher. In fact, as far as I know you only need an associate's degree.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• headstart is glorified daycare and at least here, the "teachers" only have about 1 yr education. Pre-K has real teachers who have a masters degree
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 10:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• head start you have to qualify for, need to be pretty poor, not just regular poor 9at least when i applyed)
    my daughter has delays, in school system at 3 yrs old, but was long waiting list for head start
    also was told the day is longer at head start-maybe just in the area i was in

each daycare or school will be different, talk to other moms about what they have heard or experienced
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I had my twins in headstart, but after a field trip to a large town, the other mothers who went (I had a dr appt that couldn't be changed) told me that the teachers were flirting with cashiers at McD's and lost track of my sons for a half hour. When 4 mothers told me, and the teachers denied, I pulled my boys out. There were other problems there too. i hope the headstart in your area is not like the one here. I refuse to enroll my youngest in headstart, but there is no Pre K, so he is getting a lot of help at home and can already read, write and spell many words
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 10:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• In my town, headstart is for low income families or children with delays. My son had a speech delay and he still didn't get in though. We have pre-k in the school system. But they are for lower income too and non-english speaking students. We had to go to a private preschool and pay a monthly tuition.
    Snewo

Answer by Snewo at 10:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I'm not really sure as my children are all adults, but I'll bump you.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2010