how do you know...

when you child is "ready" to transition from crib to big kid bed?? what(if any) signs can you look for??

mylady13135

Asked by mylady13135 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A few signs are that they are getting too tall for the crib, even when the mattress is set in the lowest position.
    When the child can or has attempted to climb out of the crib.

Those are the two signs that I know of.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I didn't really look for any signs, My oldest went into a twin bed at 18 months because I was pregnant with my second child and I didn't want to buy a second crib. He did great and what we did was we put the bed against the wall and then got a rail for the other side. With my middle one he went into a crib around the same age because he started flipping out of the crib and I didn't want him to get hurt.

I guess you have to do what you think it best. I took my kids shopping so they could pick out their own bedding and I made a really big deal about it.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I knew my youngest was ready when I said its time for bed and caught him climbing the rails and got in himself. lol
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 10:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I guess my biggest thing is this, My son is 18 months, he climbs out of his crib...quite well I might add....I am always worried about my kids getting hurt, and though he has not hurt himself yet I worry about it every time. My problem is he can't hear very well, we recently found out he has a ton of fluid in his ears (which explains the clumsiness and not listening we had been worried about)...so if we told him to stay in bed he wouldn't understand.....
    mylady13135

Comment by mylady13135 (original poster) at 10:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• the major sign is them being able to climb out of their crib and doing it often, but than comes the hard part of getting them to stay in bed! good luck!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• We went on vacation this past summer and my daughter slept in a big bed. When she climbed out of bed by herself and came to wake me first thing, that's when I knew. She has a convertible crib, so I just removed the rail and now it's a daybed. She does great. I have a gate in front of the steps and those doorknob things on the bathroom and guest room. When she wakes up, she comes to my room to wake me....she proved she was a big girl.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• well my little man told me when he was ready....first he climbed out of his and came into the bathroom.....so i took that as a grain of salt,well that same day i caught him red handed climbing out!! and i asked him what he was doing and he just looked at me and smiled....thats when i knew it was time....
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 10:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• When they can climb out or when they are potty training then it's time for a regular bed.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 10:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• DS wasn't moving a ton in his sleep. We transitioned him about 18 months. He hasn't fallen out of his toddler bed yet!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:14 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• If he is climbing out then it is time to transition to a toddler bed or a twin bed. I would worry more about him getting hurt climbing out of his crib so I would just move him.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 9:36 AM on Dec. 17, 2010