Is my newborn overeating?

she will be 3 weeks tomorrow and literally just in the last week she went from 2.5oz-3oz to 4oz every 2 to 2 1/2 hours and at times will cry for more food an hour after that and can eat an additional 2 oz of milk. Is she over eating or is there an issue I should address with the pediatrition? If anyone has advice I would love to hear back! She is eating both formula and breast milk at this time since my breast milk supply has slowed down

Tonit193

Asked by Tonit193 at 10:21 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no, feed that baby when she's hungry :) she'll be fine
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Prime age for a growth spurt. Your supply would keep up if you skipped the formula - when a baby goes through a growth spurt they need to nurse more to tell your body to keep up. She is not overeating, if you would skip the formula it would be impossible, your body would catch up and supply everything she needs.
    Anonymous

• no, feed that baby when she's hungry

some babies eat for comfort, which can lead to over eating, which can cause tummy aches. feeding schedules are important.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 10:24 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• i never fed my kids on a schedule, i fed them when they were hungry (look at it this way, do you eat at specific times or when you are hungry?) as long as she's not puking it up, she's fine GL
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Burp well. She may have gas built up, but 3 weeks is a time of growth spurts so it sounds pretty normal. Also if you supplement with formula it will not increase your BM.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 10:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• When my youngest son was a day old, he'd drain both breasts dry and take an 8 oz bottle before being satisfied.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 10:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• If the baby is hungry feed her, a baby usually wont continue to eat when they are full.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 10:34 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I guess it depends on what your told by your doctor than. I dunno. My son's doctor told us he was gaining to much weight to fast and two only feed him like 4oz every two hours.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 10:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• if your bf as well your supply will only go down if you adding formula probably why it slowed ist all about supply and demand and i'd go with the others if shes hungry feed her but if she starts spiting up may be to much
    Gen

Answer by Gen at 10:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Nurse her whenever she is hungry! Your supply will come back up. The formula is only going to make it keep dropping. Also, don't worry if your breasts don't feel full. That is normal!

My son had a growth spurt his first few weeks of coming home. She may need to nurse more for a reason!

Congratulations on your new baby girl! :D
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2010