Spoiling Children...

I grew up different from my sister. My mother had me @ 15, no dad in the pic, and she lived on her own, yes @ 15. My upbringing was rough, to keep it general.

My sister, who is about to be 13, has had it all. example of her spoildness. She wanted an I-phone for Christmas. My mom got it for her but has been acting as if she didn't. My sister was looking under the tree and noticed a bunch of presents for my son(1) so she started counting. She counted and my son had 19presents, my sister had 12. lol

My sister starts throwing a crying fit about how my mom is treating her so bad and blah blah blah. Keep in mind, my son got a bunch of clothes and some toys and my mom wrapped as many different items as she could so he can have fun tearing them open.
My sisters phone was like $400. and she's complaining about how she didn't get it, and she's crying about it.

OMFG

is this typical or is she spoiled?

Maybe she is just taking advantage of my mom because
**she never asks anyone else for stuff, just my mom. She is sweet about not asking anything from me cause she says "You're starting out a family right now and you go to school so I don't want you to get anything for me." But I try even something small and meaningful.

**Whenever she acts like this my mom threatens to call me and thats the only way she acts right.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 10:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• JUst the fact that she has said those things to you tells me she understands and is at least sympathetic to normal life situations and responsibilities. That also tells me, that she is taking advantage of your mother horribly!!! I would suggest if you are up for it, take her to a local shelter on x-mas day and volunteer to help serve food to the homeless for a couple hours, ask your mom to come along too!! A good friend of mine used to do this every year with her kids on holidays, just to remind them of how good they had it compared to others!! I plan on doing this with my son in a couple years when he is old enough!!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Spoiled. If I were to complain that my niece/nephew received more gifts when I was younger my mom would have returned the shit she did buy me..
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 10:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• She sure sounds spoiled and un-appreciative!! My SO has a 13 year old son (we have a 2 year old together) from his marriage who is super-spoiled and extremely BAD, I mean really really bad. He gets suspended from school a few times a month and has gotten expelled a couple times as well and the kid gets rewarded for it constantly!! I'm not talking about x-mas, but all year long!!!! he gets everything he asks for!! It sickens me, I was not raised that way and my son will not be raised that way either! He is 13 years old and my SO and SO's mother (whom he lives with most of the time) buy this child cigarettes now!!! I can understand how you feel completely, I thank the gods everyday that my son has me to be a stay at home mom, to teach him right from wrong and instill the same good values I grew up with (responsibility, getting rewarded for good behavior and good work).
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 10:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• oh no my mom did just the opposite and took her shopping/ Uggh

Now that I think more about it, I am wondering if my son will be spoiled, I hope not
    but my mom has a shopping addiction, i swear, she can't help herself
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• She's creating a Monster, and it's going to bite her in the arse, if it already hasn't... She's over compensating because of having you so young, and so on... Bring it to her attention, or your little sisters going to end up a bigger mess than she already is.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Spoiled. The fact that she straightens up and flies right when mom threatens her with calling you proves that she knows exactly how she's playin' your mom.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• she sounds like a spoiled brat and like truthteller said ver unappreciative
    ready4baby2011

Answer by ready4baby2011 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yes, she is fully aware. FULLY AWARE. At least I have her respect and she values my opinion. My mom is a work/shop a holic so that I have no control over. :(
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 11:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• @truthteller0722

that's a good idea. She always opts out of doing charity work, cause she thinks she is SOOOO COOOOL. my mom does a lot, she gives a gift to every kid at our local boys and girls club, donates to the Salvation Army, aaannnd buys school supplies for lower income families. And not donating used stuff,I mean brand new stuff. My sis just thinks of it as "thats just what you do" but I think making her go to a homeless shelter would be a good idea. At one point in time my mom and I lived in the local shelter, maybe it can make her see where we came from a bit and how far we have come.
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 11:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Your mother is not being take advantage of. She obviously wants to spoil her, and that's fine of your mom can afford it. My younger sister got a lot more than my other sister and I did but she's much younger than we are (we are a year apart in age and then she arrived when we were 7 and 8 so by the time we were 18 and 19 and on our own she was only 11) and even my younger 2 sons had far more advantages than their older brothers who are just a little older (my sons are 19, 20, 23 and 24). That happens when you have more money, less children to provide for, etc.. I think you are just a little jealous which is normal, older siblings usually are.
    Anonymous