I currently breastfeed my 3.5 mo. son, I don't know if I am producing enough?

Up until he turned like 3 mo. old I believed he was getting enough and my breasts were feeling full occasionally. Now they almost never feel full and I have pumped just to see what I am getting and I got like 2.5 ounces, however it was later on at night where I have been told that breastfeeding moms usually produce less later in the evening. But then I have pumped early in the morning and only got 3.5 to 4 ounces. For the most part he seems ok with this amount just in the evening he seems to want a little extra which I usually suppliment 1 bottle. I was getting like 6 ounces in the morning and now that has stopped. Is this normal or what can I do to fix it and make my milk supply come back? Also, I don't really even know what is normal for his age. He was 10lbs. at birth and now 21 lbs. at almost 4 mo. so that makes me believe he is getting enough but I also believe his pampers are less then before. Any suggestions for me?????

kimann

Asked by kimann at 10:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he is not still hungry and is wetting enough diapers, he is getting plenty
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 10:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• You are doing JUST FINE!!!! Your breasts - once they 'regulate' after the intitial milk coming in, will rarely feel full (Unless baby sleeps through the night). Also, it is important to remember that pumping is NOT an indication of how much you are producing. Some women can pump out nothing at all. With one of my children I could pump 8 oz!!! With another one I was lucky to get 1 oz.

Keep nursing when the baby is hungry! You may likely see an increase soon as a growth spurt is probably right around the corner!! Nursing continually doesn't mean he isn't getting enough - he is just increasing your supply!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• should join Breastfeeding Moms group lots of help there and if your baby is making enough wet daipers which would be 4 to 6 a day

Gen

Answer by Gen at 10:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Thank you.... Although until he was 8 wks old he nursed alot which I was told that he was cluster feeding and now he could do without sometimes. He probably nurses 7 to 8 times in a 24 hr. period and the last one for the night is like 10 pm and he doesn't get back up to nurse until about 4 am....... usually my breasts aren't full even after that long of a time period. I believe I am getting enough water however I am not sure what to do... I REALLY don't want to stop yet, and I hope he doesn't want to either..... PLEASE HELP!!!!
    kimann

Comment by kimann (original poster) at 11:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I had the same problem with my baby at 3 months, now she is 6 months. My boobs quit making enough milk-she was still hungry. I tried pumping every 2 hours for 2 days, except for when I was sleeping, because I was told that would produce more after a couple of days. It didn't work and I had to formula feed. It was so hard for me! My baby weighs 15 pounds and it twice your babies' age so it sounds like he is getting enough. Especially if he isn't acting hungry and still has enough wet diapers. One thing is true, don't stress about it! Your body produces less when you stress about it so try not to think about it. GL I know it will work out for you :)
    Averylee85

Answer by Averylee85 at 11:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• One really easy way to tell if he's getting enough is to set aside 6 diapers in the morning and do his diaper changes for the day from that stack. If he goes through at least that many he's getting enough.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Your baby's weight is tremendous! He is getting enough. I don't think you need to supplement.

6 or more diaper changes per 24 hours is the only indicator of supply. If you go under 6 then nurse more frequently. Some babies don't ask to eat but if they are offered they will take the breast. Offer for him to nurse about an hour after a feed and see. He may eat a little more.

Your pump output is phenomenal! You are a pumping machine!

Your breasts should rarely feel full any more. Your body has figured out that you aren't nursing twins nor have you taken a job as a wet nurse. Now it is making exactly the right amount of milk. this is a good indicator that you are nursing frequently.

Please join the breast feeding moms group! Many women there who really care about helping you and your baby. Your fatty baby I should say. Way to go mom. You make cream!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I have two boys and breastfed both of them. What I learned about milk production and baby's is that around 3 to 4 months baby's start to want more. Most women start talking to the dr about rice and other cereals. Also around 3 to 4 months I stopped pumping while at work because I could go 9 to 10 hours before feeling full. If you breast become tender and when touched they feel lumpy then you may have mastitis which is very painful milk duct infection that will cause low milk production. Call your dr. right away if you experience this.
    Make sure that you drink plenty of fluids and relax. On days when my job was less stressful I couldn't wait to get home I had produced so much I had to pump.
    Also, like other had said before me, if you baby isn't fussing for food and he is gaining weight then he is getting enough. Good luck!!
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 11:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I am breastfeeding my third now and it has been my experience that; 1) after the first few months, my breasts rarely feel full. 2) I have never, NEVER, been able to pump more than 2 oz at a time. 3) All of mine have nursed up to a year and have had a healthy weight. You can not judge how much you are producing by how much you pump. Your son weighs now what my 10 month old weights. Hang in there...it seems to me like you are doing fine!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:01 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Kimann... you are PERFECT! Don't go messing with anything Your breasts are not supposed to feel full. Feeling full tells the facory to stop orking... you WANT soft floppy empty feeling breasts.

Everything is JUST RIGHT. CHANGE NOTHING!!!!!!!!! Go worry about his college fund.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:15 AM on Dec. 17, 2010