Whatage should start potty training my daughter?

taneilasmom17

Asked by taneilasmom17 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well that really depends on her. like if she seems interested in the potty, or if she is wetting her diaper less often, you need to wait until she seems ready or it will be useless. i started my son right before he turned 2 because he was wanting to do it he would take off his diaper and sit on the potty. but my friend didnt start her son until he was 3. and my sis didnt start her daughter til she was 3 either. it really depends on the child. dont rush it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• It's not based on age.
    You can start anytime if you are home all day with her and can stick to a rigid schedule (which means few or no trips out of the house). You'll need to take her to the potty every 30 mintues and keep her there for a minute or two. Eventually, she'll accidently go. When that happens, you heap her with praise. Eventually, she'll grasp the concept and start letting you know when she has to go.
    OR
    You can wait until she is ready. Most girls are ready sometime after 24 months. You have to evaluate your daughter to see if she is capable of holding her pee and figuring out if she has to go. BabyCenter.com has a good list of the signs.

No matter which you choose, how long it takes varies from child to child... it could be quick (a couple weeks) or long (over a year).
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:43 AM on Nov. 8, 2008

• My daughter is basically potty trained now, and she just turned 3. I started working with her when she was 1- taking her with me & making sure she knew what i was doing. She would just sit there most of the time- but then one day she just took off with it. I tried to get her to wear pull-ups but she didnt like them. She wanted to wear her big girl panties and knew that she had to use the potty if she wanted to wear them. I bought the cheapies- and if she went in them- SHE had to throw them in the trash. (which i later pulled out/ washed/ & put back in her drawer!) We also did a "sticker wall". Get a peice of paper & stick it right above her potty, then every time she DOES go- give her a sticker to put up there. If she doesnt go- no sticker. It worked for mine! Just remember to be patient! It is not gonna happen overnight! Good Luck to you!!
    KaytlynsMommy05

Answer by KaytlynsMommy05 at 9:08 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• my daughter will be 2 on the 13th of this month and she is almost potty trained. she started using her training potty on her own about 6 months ago. i bought the training potty "just in case". i didn't know if she was ready to start potty training but i went ahead and showed her what to do with her potty. i took off her diaper and sat her on the potty and told her that that's where she goes pee pee or poop. then one day while i was making her dinner i saw her take off her diaper and sit on her potty and she went on her own! she does have an occassional accident and i still don't take her out in public without a diaper on. Pretty much, my daughter let me know when she was ready to start going on her own. Good luck!
    ang0343

Answer by ang0343 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 9, 2008