Does this make me a terrible pet parent?

My dog, a toy fox terrier, is 5 years old. We got her when she was 10 weeks old. She drives me absolutely nuts! Her whole mission in life is FOOD. I have to lock her up while my daughter eats (she has her own toddler sized table), or she will steal the food off the table. She kept eating our other dog's food, so finally I bought a self feeder that holds 10lbs a food to eliminate that problem. Every time we let her back in the dining area, she is searching, searching, searching for a crumb, ANYTHING. She even licks the f-ing trashcan. Mind you, this dog is at a very healthy weight and looks quite muscular. She is not deprived at all. She has never missed a meal. It's to the point, that I won't let her in the kitchen, because she is ridiculous. Always searching for a crumb, a grain of rice...something. It annoys the living shit out of me. Am I alone in this? It's ALL she cares about. I think she might be inbred though, because I got her from an Amish farm.....it was probably a puppy mill. P.S. My other dog (she's a rescue) does not behave this way at all and WAS starved at one point. In fact, she's lost several teeth due to the neglect she suffered and still doesn't act like a starved savage.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Pets

• Don't blame you!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Fox terriers are very driven dogs and it sounds like she has made food her mission in life, thus driving you up the wall. I think she could use some extra stimulation if you have the time for her. A trainer could help you, but I would recommend going light on the food for training purposes. She probably needs some work on impulse controls as well.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My mom has a Wirehair Fox Terrier and he is a beast. Really unruly and pig headed. He seems to be untrainable. My parents have had lots of dogs in my lifetime and this dog is just difficult. I think it is just something about the breed... they are just stubborn!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• no

Answer by admckenzie at 11:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• no, i have a dog like that too..hes a maltipoo x shihzhu..it drives us all crazy too!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 11:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My lab likes to lay on the floor under my 4 yr old's chair at mealtimes to wait for the inevitable dropped food. I never have to clean food off the floor. She even cleans the chair when he's done lol
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 11:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My well bred dog is a scrounge hound. My idiot dog is scrounge hound. Most dogs care about food. Its like their religion or something.

Try really hard not to call her names like I do with my dogs when they food steal. I would hate for my daughter to call the dog "smelly greedy bastard" since kids repeat everything we say. :)
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• That does get annoying. I know my dog will search the kitchen floor after he comes in from being outside... I guess just to see if we dropped anything for him. LOL! But, he's not to that extreme. Dogs are weird. I watched that Dog Whisperer show last night and learned that some dogs can actually have OCD.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Yeah, it so stinking frustrating! Thank you ladies for making me feel normal!! I was starting to worry that maybe I'm mean, but I guess my dog is just a weirdo. I just don't understand the whole food thing since she has never been denied food. My rescue was 6lbs. when I got her at FOUR YEARS OLD! She gained 6lbs in less than 3 months and has stayed at that same weight for 3 years now. She WAS starved and doesn't have food issues. At first she did, but that's completely understandable. She never knew when she may eat again. Food is never a worry here and she realizes, I don't know what's up with the other one. Maybe she is OCD. That is honestly something that never occurred to me. It's an interesting thought.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It sounds like she needs a job. enroll her in a trick class or something. It could also be that she is lacking something in her diet. It is not as commen in dogs but does accure, she could have hyperthyroidism which makes the animal think they are always hungry.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:31 AM on Dec. 17, 2010