Benadryl for sleepless, teething infant: yes or no?

I have soon to be 6 mo. old who is teething. She has been waking up nightly for the past two week EVERY hour. I have tried Orajel (but am a little scared of it numbing too much) and it really doesn't help for long. The pedi told me to use Tylonol, which I have used at night a few time only giving 1/2 dose every 3-4 hours when I nurse her to stretch it out.....didn't help. We both need some sleep....I don't get more than 3-4 hours of interupted sleep a night...and I know she is not sleeping well either.

I just need to know if giving enough Benadryl (like less than 1 ml) at night, maybe only once has had a negative effect on anyone's infants. I know my mom gave it to me daily from 2 months on because of colic and her pedi told her to (this was in the late 70's)...then she moved to Paragoric, which you can't even get anymore, when I started teething. I turned out fine, LOL. But today...it is like you can't even mention Benadryl before the kid is 4 years old. I am sure it is because people where abusing it....but I don't plan on doing that. However, we could sure use some sleep :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Absolutely not. I dont think Bendryl is approved for babies that young.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 11:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Give the poor kid a FULL DOSE of tylenol. The Dr gave you the amount, give it to her so you can both sleep. Poor munchkin has to be miserable.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 11:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• i would say no
    have you asked childs doctor?
    Anonymous

• No no no! Humphries is natural and will relieve his pain as well as help sleep...

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:12 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• no benedryl for babies, sorry. Use the infant tylenol drops.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• using benadryl to get sleep is abusing it.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 11:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I found that motrin worked better. Have you tried infant motrin yet?
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 11:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• No, no no no NO! Do not give drugs to kids to make them sleep. It is so WRONG. Give the full dose of Tylenol, do not give Benadryl.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Give her the full dose of tylenol!
    I know how you feel mama, my youngest didn't let me get a full nights sleep....well since she was born! It's hard! I'd talk to her doc about alternatives for teething. Something's gotta give, and there's comfort in knowing it doesn't last forever (unless you have my daughter, then she's still waking 2+ times a night @18 months!).
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Have you tried wetting a washcloth and putting in the freezer for an hour, then let her chew on that.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:15 PM on Dec. 16, 2010