Mamas with PCOS (or just weird periods), does this ever happen to you?

It seems like most times after DH and I have sex, I start another "period" 24-48 hours afterwards. Sometimes it lasts less than a day, other times, more than a week. It always starts out heavy, has clotting, and I'm incredibly moody, and often crampy. Does this ever happen to you? Is there something about sex that would induce a period??

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 11:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in Health

• Nothing about sex should induce a period. I have PCOS and nothing has ever made me do that except for Mirena IUD. When I had that IUD every time DH and I had sex I would bleed pretty heavily. Once I got it removed the issue stopped.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Sometimes if I have sex within a few days of finishing a period, it seems to start back up.

Unless you have blood loss anemia or something that is making you sick, I wouldn't worry.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Good to know, rhianna1708. I have Mirena, and a history of very irregular periods, but I tend to bleed after sex, even when it wasn't anything crazy.
    I think it depends on how much you're bleeding after sex. If you're spotting for a day or two, not such a big deal, but if you're hemorrhaging, that's another concern that you should bring up to your doctor. You might mention it, regardless, if you're having these "periods".
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I have PCOS & normal periods. Sometimes I have spotting after a cyst ruptures.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:16 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Talk to your GYNO
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:40 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• That really does not sound normal at all, what does your doctor say about it??
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 5:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2010