Why do little boys touch their private parts?

Both my boys whom is almost 6 constantly touch their private parts. I have asked them if it is itching or sore,but they say no. It is not red or swollen either. They also play with it and when it is stiff they show it to me. Is this normal? They touch even in public.

Dezitwins

Asked by Dezitwins at 11:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It is normal. Just INSIST that they do so in PRIVATE. Have a code word to use in public so they know to stop without calling attention to what they are doing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• My son is only 4 months old and every time his diaper comes off his hand flys to his crotch lol. I think it's funny and cute lol.

Don't shame your boys, just gently guide them until they understand that it's private.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• It's funny, and it feels good. They have no sense that it's a sexual thing (or even what sex is). It's pretty normal. I wouldn't worry, just teach them it's something to do alone, in private. And teach them to wash their hands afterward! LOL
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Because it feels good. My mom says that boys play with their penis' from womb to tomb...meaning it is their favorite toy for their entire life.

All boys do it, but you can teach them that it is only appropriate in their bedrooms or in the bathroom.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• Because, to them, its funny... they are little men
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 11:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• When my 8y/o was that age he did the same thing and his older brother did. They are trying to figure it all out. When my 8Y/O was that agehim and his brother were in the tub. He asked me why was his brother's bigger then his. Then he asked me If I had one and I said no. He then asked me well what do you have why is it different. I didn't know what to say. So this is normal and just tell them not to do it in public it is not nice. Mine did that too.
    LADYA1983

Answer by LADYA1983 at 12:02 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• yep they think its funny..and they are curious about it
    chanelsparkels

Answer by chanelsparkels at 11:52 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• My son does it all the time and it drives me crazy. mostly when he is in bed. I come to check on him and his hand is in his pants I move and he puts it right back even in his sleep. He always removes fast when I catch him and says sorry mom. My husband said its a guy thing cause sometimes he is no better. I get on both of them. ( hubby says well somebody has to touch it lol) any who I think its normal and I think it wont stop. my son is only 4 and barly that
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 11:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2010

• I've been telling them that it is private,but to no avail. I grew up with mostly boys in the house and know that they like to touch. I guess its normal. Maybe mine is just more sexually aware of it,cause my sister's two boys hasn't been caught touching. Lol. Boys will be boys!
    Dezitwins

Comment by Dezitwins (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Normal. My 4 year old does this all the time. It is really fun when we are in the public bathroom and he yells out, "See my penis."
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2010