I have three teenagers and I think I am dying a slow death! How do you communicate with them!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Yeah good luck....lol
    Mine just turned 14 and she is a bit behind so she is just getting into the teen "stage" and i dont like it.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 12:16 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Teenagers just want their ideas to be validated like they are mature adult ideas. But their ideas aren't mature adult ideas. They are moronic teenager ideas.

Next time they ask you something unreasonable, turn the question back over. Like "Mom, can I go to an over night party?" then just say, "tell me what you tnk my answer should be and why." but don't be sarcastic. What you will see is that they do actually have a little bit of sense buried amongst the hormones. It will help you cope.

Or you can do what my mom did--- tell them every day that you should slit your throat. We turned out fine. :)
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:11 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Take the time to really LISTEN to what they're saying. I've learned trying to MAKE them listen to me doesn't work. My son is 15 years old and when he talks to me I give him my opinion and pray he takes the right path. So far so good. I also have a daughter who just turned 18 and she turned out beautiful. Lots of "debates" between us but she's doing quite well, thank God!
    mockitaz

Answer by mockitaz at 3:29 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Boy, when you figure out the answere to that please let me know! I only have one, can't imagine 3. We had to have a talk with ours yesterday evening about her" BAD attitude", one minute shes ok then the next she's pure evil!!! I feel sorriest for her 10 yr. old brother, he gets the brunt of everything.
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 5:31 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I had 3 teens. It wasn't easy but I got through it. Just keep at the communication thing.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:33 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• There are times with my 17 yo dd that I just stop. When I can feel an agurment coming, I just step back. The funny thing is she always ends up coming to me. Whats up Mom, why are you so quiet? It gives me time to collect my thoughts and to see if she even notices!!!
    But when we do have a conversation about something important, I try really hard to hear her and see where she is coming from, then I ask her to do the same for me. It may sound easy, but believe me, it took us 2 years to get here.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 8:21 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• You poor thing! one is bad enough but three!!!! just be the parent, and never give up.

Answer by older at 8:31 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I had 4 teens for 2 years until my oldest turned 20 (my sons are all very close in age...they are now 24, 23, 20 and 19) and honestly it wasn't that bad. The key is communication, continuing family time, eating meals together, knowing their friends and knowing them as people.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 3:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It seems like a slow death but pretty much it is painful tourture. Good luck. I just keep asking questions about their day their work, their everything. I talk sweetly, really nicer than to any one else.. "hia honey how was your day>?" and then get spafic with the questions.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:00 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• Communication is huge, you have to keep talking and you have to keep listening. They want to be heard, supported and they want guidance. I have a great relationship with my boys, on that's been able grow into in their teen years. They tell me lots of things, some are really scary,but they want my guidance on how to help a friend and talk through the situations when they personal can't understand, why a friend is cutting himself, and threating to kill himself over a girl, or another is smoking pot and running away from home, or lost of questions about girls and how to treat them gently without hurting feelings. As a parent I share stories, opinions when asked and I listen, I provide them the tools to make the right decisions on their own. I treat them as equals while they are still children we keep boundaries for them. But the more we talk and I listen the more respect goes both ways, they need to see us as human too.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:31 AM on Dec. 18, 2010