Do you feel restrictions should be placed on the use of cellular phones in public places?

Debate Question... No right or wrong answers.

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 12:21 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Technology

• Not really, but I think people should be more respectful when they're on their cell phones in public.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Work in a customer based business and you'll say “Hell yes"!!! I was trying to wait on a customer once and he had the audacity to shush me while he was on the phone! Ooooh, I was sooo pissed! So I voided out his transaction and started waiting on the customers behind him! Boy, was he mad! Like I told him, No one shush's me. There's a time and place for everything and other people really don't want to hear what you have to say! Ok m-avi, you got me going on this one, lol
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 12:33 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Exactly Kathy! Working as a cashier myself, I've experienced the same stuff. Some people are just rude when it comes to their phones, like everyone is on "their" time and can wait while they hold up the lines. Others have apologized and got off their phones before and that is fine with me. If its that important, then get out of line and let others that aren't busy talking go ahead. Common sense!

mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 12:39 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• No. I think people just need to learn to be more considerate when using their cell phones. I am considerate of others, but then again, I rarely use my phone while in public.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 12:44 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• No, but I do think people could have better manners. I was sitting next to someone at a restaurant the other day and their phone would not stop ringing. The guy would interrupt the poor waitress to answer his phone.!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:23 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• in some
    There are a few stores here who "request" that you turn off your phones while in line or at the register. I talked to the cashier and asked why, thinking maybe it interfered with some technical device, maybe. But it was basically because it is impolite. People don't complain about it and when they are caught and asked to get off they do so politely and usually apologize, probably because everyone is staring at them.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:25 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I just think that youshould use common sense but come on we are big kids we can chew gum in class if we want to
    Vegmom1

Answer by Vegmom1 at 12:29 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• No, I don't think that a law or restriction should be placed. However, I think people should use common courtesy and not talk on the phone while they're checking out at a store, their phone should be set to silent while they are in class and they SHOULD NOT USE THEIR PHONE OR TEXT WHILE THEY ARE DRIVING!! DUH! My husband worked with a woman who killed someone coming back from a banquet declaring her TEACHER of the YEAR! Yeah, she's dead, because this chick just had to text someone while she was driving!!!! A woman who touched the lives of so many, killed by a text message. It's ridiculous. I think it's scary to drive late at night on the weekends, but apparently it's unsafe to drive at any time of day, because someone may be responding to a text message from their bff.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:39 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Goverment restrictions? No. Business's requesting that you not use your phone? Yes. I don't want ANYONE telling me I CANNOT use my phone. Emergencies happen and I'm not gonna sit there and worry about some police officer coming up and telling me to get off my phone. But like in movie theaters and all that, I do appreciate the rule that those talking on their cell phones will be asked to leave. There is a time a place for everything and some people do need a little reminder to be polite, but to make it breaking a law? That's a little extreme for my liking.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:48 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• no. that's taking away our rights isn't it? that would never happen anyway, it's like i can't answer my cell phone when i'm at the park. that's stupid.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 12:23 AM on Dec. 17, 2010