Do you feel that certain sports push teens towards developing eating disorders?

Debate Question Only. No right or wrong answers.

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 12:28 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• No I don't really think that. I think some people are mentally vulnerable to developing eating disorders...specifically ones that have really low self esteem already, and body image issues. But I was a dancer and a cheerleader and we had girls of all sizes on our teams. I thought I remember hearing that its usually the girl herself, that "decides" to have an eating disorder by her own thought and reason with herself. Its usually started by attempting to have some control in her life where it might be lacking in other areas.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• idk, i have had an eating disorder for the past 8yrs, i blame it on the magazines w/supper hot skinny celeberty bitches that just gave birth& are wearing a 2 piece w/a six pack& carrying their babies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• No, I don't think any sport is related to eating disorders at all. It's society, in general.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 1:14 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Yes, particularly any sport that involves being lifted, such as gymnastic, dance, and cheer leading.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:29 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• No
    Here's why I say no: My sister is on a highly competitive soccer team. During Soccer season, and some before, most of the girls change their diets. Some may consider it dieting, I consider it eating less crap and more nutrients so you can be a better athlete. Most competitive sports even offer a meal plan, like wrestling, gymnastics, etc....but I think it is in the girls self esteem that makes the eating disorder, not the sport.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:31 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Boys wrestling. And it does cause issues.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:07 AM on Dec. 17, 2010