Do you feel teens are under too much stress these days?

Debate Question Only.  No right or wrong answers.

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 12:29 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes, i do think there is a lot of pressure on teenagers, but i think that has always been the same across generations, but perhaps the types of pressure have changed.

Peer pressure can have a huge influence on your child, no matter how well you feel you are raising them. Teenagers are driven by hormones, impulses and the desire to find themselves...and that will lead to some errors in judgment and bad decisions. There are also expectations on how you should behave, who you should be friends with and how you should look.

Theres pressures around relationships with peers, dating, the need to look desirable, the need to do well at school without looking 'geeky'. There are tempations everywhere, i think moreso than in previous generations. Facebook, internet, mobiles, drugs and alcohol are easily accessible.

Its a difficult age...especially for those dealing with loss and dramatic change like the two im raising now.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 7:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Absolutely not. I think teenagers these days are spoiled little brats that think they are entitled to everything. Look back at the teenagers during the Great Depression. Now THOSE kids had it tough. Many of them had to help support their families, while going to school, while having a job, while having to help around the house, etc. etc. They didn't have cell phones and computers or their own cars. And many of them were good, wholesome kids! Not like the garbage you see today. I don't feel sorry for teenagers at all. Yeah sure there are some that have it worse than others, and some do have very stressful lives, but I'd be willing to bet the majority of them are just living in their own little fantasy world.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I saw something on that today...I think it was on the Today Show...I don't really agree with it. One little girl killed herself because she didn't get an A on an assignment. It's sad...If it gets to that point something needs to change. You shouldn't feel like that AT ALL
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 12:33 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I think it depends on what the parents expect from them. I have seen some of my teens friends under so much stress with working and sports and school, all because their parents have such high hopes for them. I too have high hopes for my girls, but there are times,even at this age, that you have to let them just be kids.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 8:17 AM on Dec. 17, 2010