What are the chances I will have another postpartum hemorrhage?

I had my first child 18 months ago and I had a horrible postpartum hemorrhage, I had to have 2 blood transfusions. My boyfriend & I are talking about getting married in the next year & would like to have another baby shortly after but I'm afraid that I may have another hemorrhage & might not be so lucky this time. Anyone out there been in this situation & had children afterwards? How'd it go?

JaxonsMommy16

Asked by JaxonsMommy16 at 12:40 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think like ALL pregnancies, everyone is different. I was real close to needing a blood transfusion, thankfully didn't, with my first child. They made sure to know that with my next baby to be prepared or take precautions, not exactally sure. Any way, I was perfectly fine with my next baby and had no complications.

Wish the same for you too, Good luck! Hopefully some here can answer that better for you. =)
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 12:47 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I haven't been in this same situation, but my opinion of it is that you are prepared now and aware of the possibility. So you will tell your doctor ahead of delivery and you will tell the nurses at delivery and everyone will be more prepared for the possibility instead of it being a surprise. So I think your chances of it happening again are maybe 50/50, but your chances of survival from it the next time are much greater simply for the fact that everyone is ready in case. Good luck though. I know the fears can sometimes get the best of you. Your best bet is to always talk to your doctor about any concerns. Before you get pregnant, go in and talk to them about you being ready to become pregnant and ask all your questions then.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 12:50 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Do you know what caused your hemorrhage ? did you have a drug you may have reacted poorly to? Did you have your placenta pulled manually?

I would get an official copy of the delivery medical file from your OB or the hospital. This could be something really simple and you could easily avoid it happening again. The best way to protect yourself and your family is to inform yourself about your health care options.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:59 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I don't know what caused the hemorrhage, I'm not sure if they told me or not, they may have but I don't remember the day I gave birth too well unfortunately just bits & pieces. I think next time around I'm going to a ob/gyn where I can always have the same dr, last time almost every apt was with a diff dr but this time I think its more important for my dr to know exactly who I am & whats going on with my pregnancy. I deff think I am going to find one before I get pregnant & talk to them about getting pregnant again. Thanks for the answers though! I really liked your answer CJM, theres no way to know if I will have another one untill it happens but they will be more prepared so it probably wont be as bad next time, last time I had to wait what felt like forever for them to get the dr in there to fix me up but next time the dr will have to be there the whole time, I do remember them telling me that.
    JaxonsMommy16

Comment by JaxonsMommy16 (original poster) at 1:09 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• :) I'm glad you are considering becoming pregnant again, even after such a scary experience. The things we will endure for our children :) You will be fine, just take time to plan this next pregnancy so you and your doctors are completely prepared.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 5:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2010