My premie gasping in her sleep..

What could this be? It only seems to be when I'm holding her, when she's partially awake (but obviously still asleep).. she starts making these gasping sounds. Her oxygen stats stay fine, but the noises scare the crap out of me! The NICU nurses aren't concerned, so, my question is.. should I be?

catumai

Asked by catumai at 1:02 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sleep apnea? I haven't a clue but I'd certainly keep an eye on this babe. Call the nurse line int he morning just to be sure.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:03 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• You may want to talk with your nursing staff about "kangaroo care" which can help regulate breathing.

Blessings of health to you both!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:05 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• If its not affecting her puls-ox, then it should be fine.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 1:05 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I had a premie he was 8 weeks premature and he had gurd also known as acid reflux he also gasped in his sleep sometimes he would even stop breathing for what seemed like forever but was only seconds but enough to scare the dickens out of me. The doctors didn't know what was wrong with him at first they thought it had sids then they thought it was something else they gave him caffiene which seemed odd to me but they said it would raise his heart beat. I finally took him out of the hospital on my own and brought him to my own doctor and she ran some tests and found out he had gurd gave him some medicine for about 3 months and he was fine now he is 4 years old and very healthy. I would ask your doctor and see if it could be Gurd.and I will be praying for your little one.
    Die4Jesus

Answer by Die4Jesus at 1:12 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• my baby did that the first couple weeks she wasn't a premie though.. it was almost like she forgot to breath then it finally kicked in!! she grew out of it!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 7:25 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Thanks. Randilinn, that's exactly what she sounds like.. I'm just glad to hear someone else knows what its like. It's scary! Thanks for sharing though.. I appreciate it!

Thanks everyone.
    catumai

Comment by catumai (original poster) at 10:37 AM on Dec. 17, 2010