Huh? Did I miss some thing here?

My Mom invited me and my family to her house, along with my sister and her family, for Christmas Day lunch. We always do our family thing at my Grandma's house Christmas Eve night. Even though DH and I decided that Christmas Day was going to be just for us and the kids, and we weren't going any where, I agreed to go. Well after my Mom and I talked for an hour, she sends me an email saying that our entire family and some of her BF's family were going to be there, too. I am confused. If the whole family will be together on Christmas Eve, why have the same people get together the next day, too? It's not like it's torture to see my family, but I think it's a little strange. I especially don't know why my Mom talked up the idea of "being with her girls" when she'd already invited every one. I have other obligations, with the in laws, and now I have to plan that around two of my own family gatherings instead of the usual one. Weird. I don't want to go back on what I said, but it seems repetitive. Would you go to both or pick one?

Mrs.B3

Asked by Mrs.B3 at 1:28 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I think it would be best to go to both, but just don't stay long on Christmas Day, say you have his family to go to, and say you'll spend more time with her when it's just the immediate family, rather than extended.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 6:17 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• It's been my experience that you can never please the extended family, including inlaws. Do what you can. If they get bent out of shape over then they're being selfish.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• They probably know you have other places to go so, I would pick one.
    megamamaw

Answer by megamamaw at 2:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I'd pick one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I feel like it'll start an argument or some thing if I now say, "well since it's the same people, I am only going to one." Ugh. I don't know what to do now!
    Mrs.B3

Comment by Mrs.B3 (original poster) at 1:33 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I'd go to both, but not spend the entire day with your family. My mom gets like that sometimes too, I don't get it - but it keeps the peace and makes her happy.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:12 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Yeah, I guess we're just going to go to both. Seems kinda strange now, but I haven't spent much time with my Mom's side of the family lately. We might just wrap it up quick on one day and stay longer on the other.
    Mrs.B3

Comment by Mrs.B3 (original poster) at 1:46 AM on Dec. 18, 2010