Knitters and crocheters: Do you actually check your gauge all the time?

I think I have many once, ever lol. How about you?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 1:34 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• hahahahahahha, check my gauge, that's a good one.
    I rarely do. I prefer to just wing it. Predictably nothing turns out quite right to size but I don't care as long as it fits someone in the house. With all my kids it's bound to fit someone. Most of the time they turn out pretty good just going with what the pattern says or what it says on the label. Even when I do check my gauge I don't do it "right". I knit up like 10 stitches for an inch or so and then say "screw it" and measure what I have, frog it and then start the project.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:32 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• I don't think I have ever checked it, but I never make clothing or anything so size doesn't really matter. I make scarves and blankets, mostly and just stitch until it's as big as I want and make up my own patterns lol
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:36 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Never, but I've only ever crocheted afghans and baby sweaters, so it hasn't really mattered much.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 4:22 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Yup,. for every garment.

It changes with different types of yarn, different needles.... If i'm using platic circular onces i have to go down about 0.25mm..... if it's bamboo and straight i have to go down about 0.5mm. That can make a giant difference to the size of the garment...

If i'm knitting with wool it's a lot looser than cotton....
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 8:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I do almost every time, otherwise I can run out of yarn or have the wrong size garment or blanket.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• If I'm following a pattern, I check it. If I'm winging it, then I wing it.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 10:54 AM on Dec. 18, 2010

• No, I usually don't. But then, I haven't had very good luck making sweaters and stuff. I'm stuck on one that I can't understand what the directions are saying. So I stick to mostly flat projects.
    booksandhooks

Answer by booksandhooks at 5:09 PM on Dec. 18, 2010