Homeschooling vs sending your child to school?

Debate question. Please post what you think are pros and cons for each.

silhouettes79

Asked by silhouettes79 at 2:07 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in General Parenting

• HomeSchooling
    Pros: You can teach at your own kids speed, if your kid is ahead of the curve you can keep it that way, you know what they are learning, more bonding time, and they don't have to sit 6 hours a day, probably cut that in half
    Cons: You need to actively make sure your kids get socialized, but you can easily conquer that with sports or other activities

Regular Schooling
    Pros: Make friends, be social, learn in a group setting
    Cons: If your kid is smarter than the average kid regular school may hold them back

I remember I would be so bored in elementary, I would zip thru all of our homework and practice pages and sit bored in a class. If my mom was able to homeschool she should have, because she taught me so well outside of school,honestly, going and sitting in class was just necessary so she could work.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:11 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• For Homeschooling : Please read this article

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1594176/_idiot_Homeschool_Textbooks

Basically Homeschoolers miss out on Drugs, Sexual Promiscuity, filthy Language , (if your christian) being taught about evolution

pretty good article.
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 2:16 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Social Life? On Average a homeschooler is in involve in 5.3 Activiitys outside school where as a public schooler is in 1.5 or 2.0 even still thats a major difference..
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 2:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Sending child to school is better because they learn how to socialize. I know there are some things we'd rather they didin't learn such as drug use and promiscuity, but let's be realistic, they're going out into the real world some day. They need to learn how to deal with these things now and hopefully not give in to peer pressure. If they're smarter than the average student, check into the GATE program.
    mockitaz

Answer by mockitaz at 3:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• For my son, I can see no benefits to sending him to school, compared to the benefits that he will receive from being homeschooled. I will know exactly what is being taught, how he is doing, where he is struggling. I can control - to some extent - his exposure to subjects and issues that I do not feel are appropriate. I feel he will have a more well-rounded education than what a public or even private school will provide and I can encourage and develop his strengths and interests which will help him learn more/better rather than forcing him into the cookie cutter instruction he would be exposed to at a public school.

And as far as socialization goes...thirty minutes each at lunch and recess and, when older, two minutes between classes. How is that socialization? He'll get more being homeschooled, through church, Bible study, and group field trips, than at school.
    ruthie11617

Answer by ruthie11617 at 4:16 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I am stuck with public school for the kids - however many times over I have looked into homeschooling (especially for my youngest), The school system pressures testing far too much for my taste and that is only the beginning!
    gambilldl

Answer by gambilldl at 6:03 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• "Basically Homeschoolers miss out on Drugs, Sexual Promiscuity, filthy Language , (if your christian) being taught about evolution"

That's not necessarily true, since homeschoolers are involved in as many outside social activities as you claim. One of the most sexually promiscuous teens I know is homeschooled.

Answer by missanc at 8:24 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My husband is a High school teacher and Hates how the kids are turning out. They have NO respect!! NONE! They do not even understand the concept of respect. And these children learn that off of other children.
    There is WAY to much testing and I do not believe kids learn from the tests, It scares them. I was a horrible test taker and it put me back on a lot of things like reading. I had to take "special" reading classes b/c of the test scores but they couldnt understand why I was there b/c I was in Elementary school reading Lord of The Rings.
    I plan to home school my son/any other children we may have at least up through middle school so I can get those main principles in them which they lack now a days. I also have other friends with children my sons age that are home schooled so we will be able to work together, take field trips (which public school hardly ever does anymore) and as their still little, playdates. :)
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 9:02 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I do not consider it to be a hot button topic or a debate on home schooling vs. sending a child to school. I think it is up to that parent to decide what is in the best interestof the child. I do not believe home schooling reduces the risk of abuse or use of illegal drugs. Or reduces the risk of sexual activity.  And I particularly laugh my butt off about the profane language comment.  It doesn't matter what your religion is......all kids and teens have curiousity and hormones.  It doesn't stop just because you are at home and not in a public school.  I had a good friend in college who was home schooled (I know a lot of home schooled people).  But she was also very sexual in college, drank and had a lot of fun, and continues this wild life with her own son.  She is not a bad mom.  She is married but they are very different in their parenting.  Me, I went to public school and never drank.  Ever.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:19 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Never did any type of drugs. Ever. But in actuality I believe that it just depends on the parents and the child. I have seen very intelligent children not challenged at home and were more challenged in their neighborhood public school. It can always go both ways. Which is why I don't like saying it is this hot debate. Nothing to debate. It is the choice of the parent.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:21 AM on Dec. 17, 2010