went off on my sister inlaw

My sister in-law is 5 months pregnant, and I understand the horomones and moodswings because I am a mom. But for the past couple of weeks she has been nothing but rude to me. She been saying disrespectful, rude, snyde little comments to me. Finally I had enough, she was in MY house holding MY son when she started up again. I went off on her and told her that if she was going to treat me like this then she can put my son down and get the he!! out of my house. Was I wrong to do that? Or was she asking for it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Relationships

• Maybe you should have sat down and actually talked to her about her behavior. Asked her if she was mad at you, or if she realized she was behaving that way. But yes, I think even if she wasn't "asking" for it, she probably needed the wakeup call, especially if she didn't realize she was even behaving that way. I get being pregnant, and hormones crazy. (I'm in my 4th month, luckily my hormones have been completely normal! ;) ) But seriously, I don't think pregnancy should be used as a license to get away with always being rude.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 12:03 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• i think it was wrong the way you handled it but not how you felt. gosh i hope you can patch this up. i doubt to few people in his family will like you much after that. it was not very graceful at all. some people have flaws and you expect this to be overlooked cause she was rude but you were rude too when you blew up. i think in order to save face you need to go apologize and tell her with honest why you blew up. i'm sure she knows she has been irritable and if not you telling her will make her realize she was. she should forgive you but you need to forgive her her short comings as well. be a peace maker.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I think she was in your house and should have shown you the respect you deserve. Nobody has the right to treat you like crap in your own home. I kicked my brother in law out of my house because he was treating my husband like a piece of dirt. I told him he could come back when he could show some respect. And if your SIL can't treat you with respect, especially in front of your kids, she needs to go. If her family doesn't like it, tough.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 1:09 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I agree AuntieM
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 2:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

• I think you did the right thing! I have had similar problems in the past. She will continue to treat you like that unless you do something about it, and you did!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 4:10 PM on Nov. 8, 2008