Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im a SAHM facing divorce how do i keep my sanity and my children

Im a SAHM to two kids and I think me and my husband may be headed for divorce. He wont let me get a job and I dont want to lose my kids. I have no money of my own saved up and no source of income but I know the kids teachers and my husbands own family would probably testify I should get the kids. How do I prepare myself for this?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2008 in Relationships

Answers (7)
  • Cover your butt with a lawyer. See about government assistance programs in your area. Alot of times there a public aide lawyers that can help you. My friend went through a similiar situation.

    Answer by evilabbysmom at 12:16 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

  • start looking for a job and if possible just move in with a friend or family member. as you get the job tings will fall into place. when you move out get assistance if you can.

    Answer by melody77 at 12:40 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

  • Why won't he let you get a job and how can he stop you? What's he gonna do? Leave you? It sounds like it's already headed that way. You take care of YOU and your children Moma~~ If that means getting a job then you do that. Don't let this man tell you what you can and can't do. You are a woman, a mother and you have equal rights! Does he work?....what would he do if you told him he couldn't? Of coarse he'd how can he expect you to differently? He's controlling you...take back that control and take care of yourself.
    JMO....and said with caring! My answer may sound harsh but when I read it out loud...I'm just pumping you up.....STAY STRONG~!

    Answer by happy2bme7 at 12:52 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

  • First off I think you should consult a lawyer- find out what your options are. It might be a good idea to move in with a friend or family member, and then start looking for a job. I hope that things work out for you and all goes well.

    Answer by MizLee at 12:53 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

  • Get a good lawyer that specializes in divorce and child custody. Make sure you demand child support. If you have to get a job, look into getting help with daycare costs. There are all kinds of government programs out there to help single parents. Good Luck.

    Answer by BigSkyHarmony at 1:04 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

  • Start working on your living situation with a family member, and find a job -any job. If you have those two things your husband will have a hard time trying to keep the kids. Courts tend to favor the kids staying with the mom, or joint custody. He would have to prove you are abusing them to get sole custody. Stay positive and strong and you'll get what you want!

    Answer by hopelessnance at 2:02 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

  • First things first I would get a lawyer. They have public lawyers that you can get. Secondly I would work on trying to find somewhere else to live. With a family member or a friend. Third, I would work on trying to get a job. I know it's probably hard but you can do it. Your children will be depending on you. Also, if you are separating he has to pay child support. This happened with one of my friends. Her husband moved out and she went to see the lawyer the next day. The lawyer started work that day on trying to get her child support. I really wish you luck!

    Answer by crystac at 2:06 PM on Nov. 8, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.