Separation Anxiety??

I have an 11 month old (boy) who for the last week won't sleep alone :( I put him to bed at his normal time every night, he is on a fairly regular schedule, and while it is not strict it is one we rarelt deviate from. He does not, however put himself to sleep. I rock him at night until he is asleep and then I lay him down. Within 2 hours (on some occasions 4 or 5) he wakes up petrified. We put in a night light in case its the dark, we changed his comforter in case the other one was too crinkly or cold, I have tried letting him fuss etc.... Is this separation anxiety? My daughter (11) never really had it, but she was much more independent from a very young age. I just don't know what to do, I have spent too many nights sleeping on the couch. I know I have created a monster lol but I could use some advice on fixing it :/

jezzifu

Asked by jezzifu at 5:59 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is a real tough one. We had that problem with a few of our kids and it really breaks your heart so I know how it feels. With our kids I found that they were more comfortable sharing a room with an older sibling. Although Im not sure if this would work in your family. Best of luck though
    IrishMom101

Answer by IrishMom101 at 6:17 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My 4 yr old just started that for the past few wks, same rountine as usual. I told to her dr.about it he said it is separation anxiety and it is just a phrase. I asked him why she is doing it, she is just feeling insecure. just keep putting to his bed and go in sooth him then leave when he is sleepy.
    sovis05

Answer by sovis05 at 7:38 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• He shares a room with my husband and I, though I am not sure if that helps or hurts lol. I have been taking him in when he is tires, at that almost asleep state and try to comfort him. I tell him I love him and kiss him then leave the room saying I will be back after his nap. He will wimper a bit maybe out right cry, then sleep.... but that is ONLY during the day, he won't have it at night. :( yes it is very heartbreaking.
    Thank you ladies :)
    jezzifu

Comment by jezzifu (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I would cut out rocking him to sleep anymore... Do you really want a 4 year old who cant go to sleep on their own?
    And I would just let him CIO. Unless you think he is cold, hungry, or hurt, he will be just fine. He needs to start doing this for himself. And yes, its going to be sad and hard for a few weeks, but like you said YOUcreated this monster, so you gotta deal with it.
    Good luck. Stay consistant, and dont give in!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:58 AM on Dec. 17, 2010