Did your child go to school nurse for eye test and fail and go see doctor and pass?

i have heard this happens. the nurse contradicted what the opthamologist told us a year ago. had my son test with his reading glasses on and siad his distance is way off. we go to eye doctor this afternoon. heard from a friend her son had same thing happen. hwy bother test if they dont know how to test?

stargazer74

Asked by stargazer74 at 6:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My daughter had the same this year! School told me I should get her eyes checked and she passed with flying colors at the doctors office. Oh well I would rather know then to have her struggle in school because she can not see!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 6:55 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My son regularly flunks every test the school nurse gives. He's autistic and she has no clue how to test him. Then she harasses the hell out of me because I refuse to get him rechecked on her schedule. He sees an pediatric opthamologist on a regular basis and his hearing is fine (I had him checked the first two times she said he failed and he passed both times, I'm NOT repeating this every year).

I understand that it is a screening to help parents, but sometimes I do question the nurse's competence in these matters. 

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:25 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• My SS failed and needed glasses, my DD failed and her eyes were fine. I'm glad that they do they checks, even if it turns out to be nothing I'd rather have them screened to make sure.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:11 AM on Dec. 17, 2010