Do you volunteer in your kids classrooms?

what do you do there? i do reading and crafts. she is in 1st grade. I do not do this for my older boys any longer.

stargazer74

Asked by stargazer74 at 6:19 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have although in our school, help in the classroom is not welcome all that much. I sub at my son's school and I'm in the PTA, so I show up for most special events.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 6:22 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Nope--I work full time.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:20 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I don't volunteer in the claasroom although I do volunteer to do things like help with the school store, fundrasier stuff and holiday parties as I am off work in time to do all of those things
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 6:27 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• No I don't because ds's teacher is a real piece of work. It's a long story but basically she thinks she's better than me and dh and hasn't spoken to us since the very 1st meeting in her classroom at the start of kindergarden. She assumes because I wasn't wearing my wedding ring at the time(it wasn't fitting due to baby weight) that dh and I were unmarried. Also because I kept my maiden name it made it look a though we were unmarried and to top it all off I'm in my mid 20's so yeah- she thinks I'm not good enough to talk to. Btw, I was married 2 years before I had ds and saved myself for marriage. She has the nerve to put on the school's website and pass out flyers at school about herself saying taching is her "calling in life". It's her loss though. I am great at fundraising and crafts and teaching children-it's my educational background. But she has to be a_____ so I'll save the crafts and teachings for ds at home!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:31 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I do, but only to chaperon for class parties and field trips. Our school system isn't very parent-friendly when it comes to involvement; the PTO (a different version of the PTA) is a clique and the women are pretty nasty. You can't volunteer at the school without being involved with them.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:33 AM on Dec. 17, 2010