My 7th grader came home with...

a book from the school library that is full of profanity. It starts out with the character talking about getting wasted & dropping the f-bomb in every sentence.

If the kids use any profanity, they are subject to suspension. Isn't giving them books to read that are full of profanity giving them permission or encouraging them to use profanity?

motherofhope98

Asked by motherofhope98 at 7:29 AM on Dec. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I've never out right banned my children from reading a book, I have told them that it wasn't necessarily appropriate for their age at the time. Unfortunately, most ADULT books end up scanning at MIDDLE SCHOOL READING LEVELS!!! Thus, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, etc. are on a MIDDLE SCHOOL LEVEL and many school libraries stock those books. While the content may be above the middle school reading and comprehension level, the Accelerated Reading program has placed many adult books in the middle school level because of the words that are used.

Most public school libraries have a way to "flag" the books with in their system so that the students are told that the content may not be appropriate for the reader. There are also programs where the libraries can also "flag" the students if the parents want to censure what their child is reading.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:44 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I personally don't believe in banning books. Was this a required book that they have to read or was this a book that they picked out themselves? If it was required, then check to see if there is a "PG" version (sometimes they are available and sometimes they are not). If this was a book that your child picked out, then you need to teach your child what type of books are acceptable in your home and have them skim over a book before they check it out.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• No I don't think it is giving them permission or encouraging them to use profanity.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:43 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I don't believe in banning books either although I think they should be screened for appropriate age levels, not just reading levels. As my children (who are all teens now) started reading a lot, we had many discussions about how just because they read it in a book doesn't mean it's the way they should be talking. You also need to realize that your daughter is probably hearing lots of this language among the kids in her class. When my son decided to try talking like that at home, we had a discussion about how that language is not allowed in our house and why. I don't get too uptight about what they read, as long as it's not pornography.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• let the library know, they aren't always aware of those things.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:49 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• A child can know what is right and wrong, and can act accordingly, while being allowed to experience literature of all types. My 14 yr old son is an angel. Momma's boy through and through. Wouldn't dare swear, hurt anybody, do drugs etc and he is an avid reader of all types of books. His love of reading all started when I allowed him to select a book from my shelf and he decided on a Stephen King book. You'd probably not agree with your daughter reading that author either, correct?
    As a child I was free to read all of my parents books. I picked up Stephen King as a pre-teen, Helter Skelter at 13, and many other "adult" titles. It simply enhanced my love of reading and propelled my interest to read more subjects and more titles and to simply read more.
    I do not see the harm in your daughter reading this book if she has good values to begin with.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 11:27 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Im assuming this is a public school right? Nevertheless. a book like that should not be in that library, librarians are supposed to keep close watch on things like that, they do have rules about it. I think they may have made a mistake and you should take the book to the administration right away and point it out to them.
    Triscuit

Answer by Triscuit at 7:33 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Instead of getting irrate with the school, why not use this as a teaching moment? Your son must be around 12, right? Clearly he knows profanity exists and he isn't likely to be introduced to many new words. Since that's the case, perhaps sitting down with him and discussing why he's decided this was appropriate reading material would be a good idea? Maybe a discussion regarding why that type of language might not be the best way to communicate one's emotions?

My son is 10 - he just started to down-load music for an MP3 player. I sit with him while he selects music and the first thing we do with a new song is look at the lyrics - together. We've had several discussions about what he thinks is a good thing to be pumping into his brain. I want to give him the tools to make these decisions for himself, not restrict him from life so that he goes wild when he finally leaves my influence.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:48 AM on Dec. 17, 2010

• I would bring the book into the school. I understand not wanting your kids to read a book like this, although I am pretty sure there are some classic books like The Outsiders and Catcher in the Rye that have swearing in them. I understand if you don't want your kids to read this, although I don't think books should be banned.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 12:19 PM on Dec. 17, 2010

• Yes it is a public school. I kept the book & am taking to the principal this morning. It's coded for 8th grade reading level. Although I wouldn't want my kids reading it at any age.
    motherofhope98

Comment by motherofhope98 (original poster) at 7:44 AM on Dec. 17, 2010